Create Subtask with Parent Task Fields Auto-filled

I have subtasks that need the exact same parent fields auto-filled. It’s way too time consuming to enter in each field again to the subtask. Is there any way to do this?

1 Like

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @Ashley_Kruythoff!

Usually you should be able to see the custom field info from the main task in the subtask.
Here is a screenshot from the Asana iOS App but on the web version it is the same.

Now for subtasks of subtasks this is not possible, also see here.

Here is more info on custom fields in subtasks.

Does that help?

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, Andrea.

Unfortunately that did not help. When I’m in a task and create a subtask, then click “show inherited fields” while within the subtask, none of the parent fields are populated in the subtask. I’d have to manually enter in each and every field again into the subtask.

A workaround that I’ve developed is to duplicate the parent task so the fields are included, then convert it to a subtask and make it’s parent the original task.

Surely there is a better way of creating subtasks directly from the parent task so that all fields are auto-populated into the subtask…

Hopefully that made sense!

I appreciate your attention to this matter. Thanks in advance for your help!

All best,

Ashley

Hey @Ashley_Kruythoff oh sorry I misunderstood, I thought it was just about being able to display the same custom fields.

In terms of updating the custom fields here are some workarounds/options:

Rules for subtasks should be coming soon as well: Allow Rules for Subtasks - #124

Flowsana is another option.

And here is a feedback request thread about this topic

Hope that helps

Andrea

1 Like