Convert Section to Task

+1
for the ability to convert sections to tasks and tasks to sections

2 Likes

Another vote +1. Please add this functionality back. I’m all for updates to Asana, but don’t remove useful functionality in the process!

3 Likes

+1

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+1 - I created a section with a lot information and made comments to team and need to turn the mistaken Section into a Task - please add this back!

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+1 !

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+1 would love to have this feature!

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+1

1 Like

In the past, you could convert section headings back into regular tasks by deleting the colon in the task name. However, in the current version of Asana I don’t see a way to do this.

The problem I’m trying to fix, is that we have some users who assign people and deadlines to section headings, which is a weird and wacky method. It creates task lists that are hard to read, doesn’t work well with the My Tasks view, etc. I would love to be able to convert those sections into regular tasks, but I don’t see a way to do it, other than a somewhat laborious copy and paste process of moving all the details into new tasks.

3 Likes

Hi @MPrewitt :wave:

Unfortunately there is currently no option to convert sections into tasks. What you proposed I believe is the best workaround to change a section into a task (Creating a new task and moving all the section’s details into this Task by copying/pasting)

With that said, if you are using Google Chrome, you might find this post useful.

PS: I’m merging this post to an existing thread we have in the Forum regarding this issue to consolidate Feedback. I hope It’s OK.

3 Likes

Thanks, Natalia. The Chrome extension you pointed me to, seems to work OK for automating the process (although it doesn’t actually convert the section to a task, or vice versa, but instead automates copying the details … which could break task links, etc.). But it’s no worse than doing the manual copy-and-paste method, and is very fast. Hopefully Asana’s developers can come up with a more streamlined solution.

4 Likes

+1 for bringing back the section, task conversion. I would love to have this feature again.

1 Like

Hi @MPrewitt,
Thank you very much for using my Chrome extension!
You’re right in that it makes a copy section/task with the same name and deletes the original.
It’s the best I can do with Asana API now and it’s at least faster than manually doing so.
However, it’s much slower compared to Asana’s discontinued colon feature, and I’m hoping that Asana will bring back the colon or implement a new converting feature.

2 Likes

+1 to please bring this back. The removal of the colon feature makes creating new sections so cumbersome and counterintuitive. It’s an action I would perform dozens of times a day that now feels totally backwards.

2 Likes

+1 please bring back this feature

1 Like