Convert existing single-select field to multi-select

Definitely something that seems useful! +1

If this helps, I made a video to explain how to manually “change” the type of a field.

5 Likes

Is there a way to change the field type of a custom field that was single-select (as it was the only option when it was created) to multi-select without having to just delete and create it all over again, and therefore losing the data we’ve been tracking for reporting? Thanks.

Hello @SGL_Inbox welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

I agree this would be very helpful. Unfortunately it is not possible yet.
I recommend upvoting this existing feedback thread: Convert existing single-select field to multi-select

1 Like

I made a video to explain the procedure while we wait for a native solution.

5 Likes

Thanks for this walkthrough @Bastien_Siebman This was something I just encountered myself. Here’s to hoping Asana will build a native solution!

2 Likes

A very important feature which will bring so much efficiencies. Gets my +1 too :pray:t3:

1 Like

I have a series of custom fields added to the org library as a multiple choice single select.

Now that Asana has implement this great option to have a multiple choice - multi select in custom fields, it would be really handy, if I am able to switch the type of the field by editing it directly, rather than creating a new custom field.

And also sometimes, you create a numbers field and then you realise that it would be good to swap it to a text field for example.

What do people think?

1 Like

Hello @Rashad_Issa

yes absolutely I would love for this to be possible!

I have also found an existing feedback request thread here: Change field type once in use (should probably say „custom field“ instead of „field“ though)

And another one here: Convert existing single-select field to multi-select

I guess there should maybe be one that covers custom field type changing in general?

2 Likes

I made a video on how to migrate from a field to another, but that’s definitely a pain!

1 Like

Hi @Andrea_Mayer thank you so much for the comment. For some reason I did not pick up the second link you shared. This is exactly what I am after.

1 Like

Great video Mr Podcaster :wink: yes, it is a straight forward to do the migration but it is a manual task that is not efficient at all.

2 Likes

hehe yes agree manual work is annoying when you need to switch a bunch of custom field types

2 Likes

Having said that: maybe we keep this one open to be able to switch any custom field type.

@Andrea_Mayer what do you think?

We keep one that is for single select to multi select but keep this one for any change of custom field?

Hm yeah that could be an option. Agree @Rashad_Issa
Then you’d just have to rename the request so it is clear they are 2 separate/different requests :slight_smile:

1 Like

added ‘any’ to the title and added on additional description to the post to give alternative scenarios too.

1 Like

I could really do with this option. I have a very long customer field (single select) that I would like to now be applicable to multiple options. I don’t want to create a new customer field.

1 Like

I would like to be informed too about this topic - I’m in the same position as others in the thread and want to edit my field to multi select from single select which looks like the change of a button - it’s been a year and we still can’t do this? @Emily_Roman

1 Like

Wishing for this feature here as well!!

+1