Connect the due dates of subtasks to the due date of their parent task

Please, Please Put this feature on the roadmap!

Has anybody has a work around on this issue with creating subtask with a past due date from the parent task?

1 Like

Really need this feature!

One workaround is to use our Flowsana integration - more info here.

Just skimmed through this forum which started in 2017! Assuming the feature still doesnā€™t exist? Our projects are campaigns set as parent tasks over a date range. e.g. June 10-June 20, and have up to 20 subtasks beneath which are minor items that need to be completed before the campaign can go live. When campaign dates change Iā€™d love to be able to shift the parent task forward 3 days e.g. June 13 - June 23 and all subtasks follow pushing out by 3 days. At the moment i have to go in manually and shift each subtask forward 3 days. Some of our parent tasks have 20 subtasks. Any news on when this feature will be added? or if there are any rules we can apply to help with this issue?

1 Like

hey @Sara_Melamed iā€™m trying to recreate what youā€™ve described above, as it sounds like it may solve my problem. What do you mean by ā€˜drag a boxā€™ around the parent task? I have set up a task with subtask, each subtask has a dependency on the last. Or should the subtasks have a dependency on the parent task?

Similar problem - for me Iā€™m trying to create a dependancy based on the start date. Any suggestions?

Update on connecting subtasks to parent task ?

2 Likes

Absolutely none.

1 Like

Is there a timeline when this will be possible asana without any other additional paid tools?

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @Jakub_Borowiecki :wave:

Asana does not have a public roadmap, however they constantly monitor all feedback request threads and the total votes and views.
Whenever there is an update they will share it here :slight_smile:

I am mystified why this feature doesnā€™t exist. Itā€™s just logical. So much so that I thought I must be missing something. The whole point of task templates in workflow is to eliminate busy workā€¦ All Iā€™m doing when I assign dates to subtasks is looking at the overall task due date and saying T minus 3 days for this subtask, T minus 5 days for that subtask.

3 Likes

I see that Asana now has the ability to make subtasks that are due X days after the parent task. So, users can now make subtask due dates that are relative to the due date of the parent taskā€”just in the wrong direction. Please, please revamp this feature so that itā€™s actually useful.

6 Likes

@Ian_Montgomery, I just re-opened this forum topic so you can add your vote. I think itā€™s a distinct request from this one here.

3 Likes

Yes - 100% agree with @Ian_Montgomery
This correction would be a game-changer for us!

1 Like

This makes Asana more of a simple task tracker / to do list vs a project management tool for our case. If sections could be labeled milestones, it would be a little easier to only use parent level tasks. A milestone by definition is achieved via the completion of multiple tasks. So if a parent task is made a milestone, we should be able to add subtasks with full functionality / reporting.

Iā€™m not impressed with the dependency function and the lack of auto-shifting dates. So thatā€™s not really a fix for linking action tasks to a milestone task.

Asana simply does not provide full PM software capability for anything other than basic projects IMO. They leave such enhancements to Flowsana which is not an option for companies such as mine due to security restrictions. We are not even allowed to add an outside vendor to a stand alone project.

The original post is EXACTLY how I want to use Asana for our marketing team. Is this still not available as a feature?

1 Like

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @Kelly_Allen_Arndt!
This feature is not available.
I recommend reading through this post for an overview on how Asana is listening to product feedback.

1 Like

We need this please!
Sections wonā€™t work for something as busy and alive as Content production where there are many articles in different buckets + lots of sub-tasks. So sub-task due dates dependent on taskā€™s due date would be amaaazing. thanks

1 Like

Itā€™s now 2024 - this thread was started in Dec 2017 - and this feature is still not available?

Asana team, this is a missing key feature that would prevent me from endorsing Asana over another tool the next time I get to recommend/select a PM tool for my team.

11 Likes