Create a rule for a subtask to be due a certain number of days BEFORE the parent task's due date

It would be great if it were possible to create a rule that triggers a sub task’s due date to be a certain number of days BEFORE the parent task’s due date.

As far as I can see, it is only possible to set the due date based on the trigger time, start date of the task, creation time, and due date (i.e. number of days AFTER the due date of the trigger task).

4 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Subtask relative due dates based on parent task start/completion date

A vote has been moved. A vote could not be moved because the user already voted in the other topic.

I’ve re-opened this topic because it’s now possible to create a rule that adds subtasks AFTER their parent’s due date, but not BEFORE which is what a number of people want.

6 Likes

Yes, subtasks with relative dates BEFORE their parent can be added with our Flowsana “Add subtasks” rule action :wink:, but nonetheless people should be able to vote here for it to be available in native Asana.

8 Likes

Big, big fan of this idea. If other organizations are anything like mine, subtasks are those small steps you take to fulfilling the overall parent task. This certainly seems like the most logical use case of subtasks, at least.

So, the ability to set subtasks’ relative due dates before the due date of the parent task seems like it would be a much more useful feature. We’d love to see it!

6 Likes

100% want this feature. I set up task templates for content (like blog posts) that have several sub-tasks that are standard (such as create draft, reviews, post, etc) and having these sub-tasks preset with standard lead times would be SUPER helpful. That way our calendar view of the main task will always show the final due date, but authors also automatically know when their drafts are due based on the publish date.

2 Likes

sorry, asking us to purchase a third party app outside of what we already pay for Asana is not going to fly in our org.

4 Likes

It is currently possible to set relative start and due dates for subtasks created through a triggered rule
Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 2.12.39 PM

It is not possible to set a date X days before the due date. While it is possible to specify X days after the start date, that does not enable the ability to automatically set due dates of subtasks to a certain number of days before the due date if task durations are not always the same.

If I know a task always takes 5 days, then I can use “task due in [4] days based on start date of trigger task” and create subtasks (I use it for review) that are due the day before the trigger task is due.

This rule doesn’t work if the duration is different. I’d love to be able to set the due date as “due in [-1] day based on due date of trigger” as this would allow an automation that works for production tasks of various lengths.

10 Likes

It’s crazy to me that this would be set up for subtasks AFTER the task deadline, with no ability to set based relative to BEFORE the due date. Asana, I hope you’re prioritizing this!!!

4 Likes

Checking back in here. Still having a huge need for this and prefer not to sync in a bunch of third party tools into a tool that honestly should have this already and used to have this years ago.

8 Likes

Another vote for this feature. This is critical in workflow management!

4 Likes

Yes, please add the ability to set subtask due dates in templates relative to the parent task due date! Without this feature, it actually takes me longer to set up tasks and projects in Asana than it did before our org started paying for this project management tool.

1 Like

Asana suport confirmed this isn’t possible, but it’s the most common use case of subtasks in my experience. Please add a relative “before” the due date, and not just after as an option in automation!

1 Like