Connect the due dates of subtasks to the due date of their parent task

Hi @anon78909845, welcome to our Forum community! Thank you for your feedback. Many other users have voiced similar suggestions in this thread. Your post has been merged to consolidate the feedback. :+1:

Donā€™t know why Asana havenā€™t actioned this as having linked due dates to sub tasks seemsā€¦ compulsory. A work around we found is to use the Calendar view and select all task at once, then drag by your number of dates.

Hey @MarcS , how do you select more than one task in the Calendar view? I can only drag one by one

Apologies, meant ā€˜timelineā€™ view! :slight_smile: you should just be able to drag over all the tasks you need.

Iā€™m also wondering how this isnā€™t a thing yet. Any updates?

My team and I have been banging our heads against the wall thinking this would be functionality that exists but apparently, it doesnā€™t! +10,000 for getting added, please!

2 Likes

Repeating what others have stated for years - this is basic functionality for project/program management. Letā€™s get it added, please!

2 Likes

+100000 for this feature. Please implement! Iā€™ve been needing this for years and convinced a new company to use Asana. They are shocked that we manually have to update each subtask when the parent due date shifts

3 Likes

Yes, please. Itā€™s silly this isnā€™t by default. At a minimum, it would be nice to have as a toggle option for tasks.

6+ years and 246 votes - hereā€™s to hoping this is added soon!

1 Like

Yet another person who wants this and is surprised it doesnā€™t exist

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug youā€™re experiencing:

Steps to reproduce: Create a parent task with a start and end date Jan1-Jan12 then create a subtask with a start or end date outside that range. I would at least expect the sub task to extend the end date of the parent task or cause an error.

Browser version:

Upload screenshots below:

Welcome, @Steven_Welch,

Iā€™ve merged your request into an existing thread. You can vote for this at the top of the thread.

Thanks,

Larry

Is there an update on this? seems like a pretty basic function.

This might not address everyoneā€™s issues, but what works for me so far is to create one task and different steps in subtasks (with dependencies) with my ideal timeline start/end dates assigned to all. I then use this as my template to duplicate them, go to timeline view, and click and drag a box around the parent task and subtasks. When I click and drag all of them as a group to where I want the end date to fall, all the dates automatically get reassigned.

1 Like

Do subtasks show up on My Tasks even if the task doesnt have a date on it? Is it best to have dates on both? I get that all tasks should have a date on them but donā€™t always have a complete date in mind when I make a task as it depends how all the subtasks shake out. Is that something that is best to schedule after all the subtasks then or can I leave it open and all subtasks will show up on My Tasks?

Welcome, @Justin_Smith,

Tasks or subtasks will only appear in your My Tasks if you are the Assignee of the task or subtask.

The date wonā€™t affect whether it appears in your My Tasks area, though if you are Assigned w/o date it will only appear in My Tasks List and Board views, not My Tasks Calendar view.

It depends on your use case whether to assign dates, when, and if to both parent and subtasks.

Hope that helps,

Larry

Please please please please implement this.

2 Likes

I would also love to see this implemented in the near future!

Automation in key aspects of subtask to parent task - date relationships would be really useful. E.g. when I add a subtask with a start/end dateā€¦ should automatically update parent corresponding dates, if I add a new subtask that extends overall parent end date - should update automatically.

2 Likes