Connect the due dates of subtasks to the due date of their parent task

Hi all
Do we have any solution on this topic?

My school are planning the fall year.
And we are looking for a pm system that let us plan every course efficiently.

So each course have let’s say 20 tasks and these tasks are dependent of the start date of each course. For example one task is “Send course plan to teacher”
This task due date are always 28 days before start date of each different course.

Imagine about 15 courses in 7 classes that follows the same workflow. We really need a automatic template for this kind of work.

Do you have any suggestions for me and my organization?

@Joakim2 the project template with automatic date shifting does this upon creation. The current post is about subtasks and their parent task so I am wondering if your answer is on-topic :thinking:

Such basic feature can be found in many other project management tools such as monday.com which we are switching to, just because of features as this one. All our projects are based on repetition and the only walk around I found was to do a bulk upload in excel. This excel solution is not friendly and many people can’t even do it.
Also in such projects and companies switching subtasks to tasks become a mess and too many tasks in one project which does not work for some companies such as ours.

I would like to know if this is a project in the works or the team has decided that the walk arounds are efficient enough and may not make sense to go down that road?
If any timeline that would also be helpful.

Expected behaviour> Rather dependant tasks move along parent task, or you can select many tasks at the same time and select move date t+10 or whatever number of days needed.

Thanks

Asana does not usually share their roadmap. Hope you find what you are looking for with this other tool.

Is there an update on this feature request?

I use a parent task for artwork approval that requires three different signatories (so these are set as sub-task approvals) – if I were to split them out into three parent tasks of there own I’d have to upload the same artwork 3 times and the signatories wouldn’t be able to see each other’s feedback/queries. At the moment, none of my signatories have due dates for their approvals unless they’re manually inputted.

All I really need is the ability to tie sub-tasks to the due date of the parent task (and change if/when it changes) – any help much appreciated!

1 Like

FYI this is now released as a Flowsana feature - for more info, see:

1 Like

For a parent task, add effort estimatons to its sub tasks, but cannot automatically update the parent tasks, has to manually updated, otherwise will click into each child tasks to manual calculate.

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, @Fei! We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merge your post with Connect the due dates of subtasks to the due date of their parent task to consolidate feedback. In the meantime, you can check a workaround shared in this comment.

Can we make this a product feature for vote? Not being able to set templates based on the parent task due date makes templates fairly useless.

Checking in here if there’s an update on this request, it’s becoming more and more of an issue for our company

1 Like

No news on Asana’s side, we don’t know if this is considered a flaw on their end, or just “by design”.

1 Like

Is the rollup now available to give the start and due date of the parent task based on the min and Max dates of the sub tasks?

To clarify Min of Start dates and Max of Due dates for Subtasks

5 years later - is a there a solution to this?

From what i can tell, you either have everything as a task (which is silly and would look and feel awful to manage), or make the sub-tasks dependent on the parent task?

Also, when making dependencies, when you type in which task you’d like it to be dependent on, it suggests names from every other project in stead of the one you’re on.

I know this is useful to link to other projects, but it would be nice to have a drop down feature to say “This project” or “All projects” for speed of use (and knowing which one you’re actually using).

Thanks,

1 Like

@Fraser_Sweeney1 no solutions, subtasks are still considered (by myself) only a checklist of things to do, and should if possible not be assigned or have due dates… until the situation gets improved!

+1 for this feature request.

I would like a possibility to make the due date of a task the minimum due date its sub tasks.

+1 we need this!

It is important for the Task & Subtask to be connected in a way that Asana restricts the subtask to be scheduled post the parent task’s due date. Moreover, It would be very useful if subtasks are automatically rescheduled if the parent task due date is changed.

The new template feature is great! But you can only set relative subtask deadlines based on the the create date of the task. I’d like to be able to set those relative subtask dates based on the overall due date of the task instead of the creation date. I.e. for an email task the subtasks would be relative based on the send date of the email.

2 Likes

Hi @Ali_Hough, welcome to the Asana Community Forum and thanks for sharing your feedback with us! Hopefully this is something we can implement for Task Templates in the future!