Close date picker automatically after selecting the due date

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: It appears a new version of Asana rolled out where you need to now click twice whenever you set a date on a task. This doubles the number of clicks to do this operation. Normally I would adjust a task date (one click) and then Tab + Y; now it is click date, click outside of the window, then Tab + Y.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Select a task
  2. Click the Due Date field
  3. Click a date
  4. Notice the date select window does not close

Browser version: Brave Version 1.15.72 Chromium: 86.0.4240.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Upload screenshots below: None

Hi @John_Taylor, thanks for reaching out!

I see what you mean, I was able to reproduce this on my end. I’ve escalated this to our product team to confirm whether this is expected behaviour or not.

Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime!

I noticed this suspected bug this morning as well. Very inconvenient since we are use to a one-click selection.

I concur (after getting the update this morning). I think sometimes you can hit Return to dismiss the dialog but I’d rather just work as @John_Taylor says.

Thanks,

Larry

We actually like it this way as we most often add start date and due time and before you needed to open the small window once for each operation as it would close automatically.

A small button “done” or something like that will great as the “Return” makes you let go of the mouse if you are using one

Thanks all for your feedback! I’m still waiting for a confirmation from our product team. I’ll let you know as soon as I have more details :slight_smile:

I agree with Ivan in one respect - it is clumsy to add both start and due dates, with all previous versions. If this improves that then it would be helpful. However, if you don’t use start dates often, then this gets in the way.

Hi all! our product team has confirmed this is working as expected so when you select the due date, the date picker won’t close automatically. We are currently running an A/B Test for the new date picker and I’ll make sure to share all your feedback regarding this specific change so it can be considered when our product team analyses the results of the test and plan to completely launch this feature.

I also encourage you to create a new thread in our #productfeedback category if you have any other feedback about the date picker. I’ve gone ahead and also moved this thread to our product feedback category to allow everyone to cast their votes. Thanks again for sharing your feedback!

Let me know if you have any other questions! :slight_smile:

This is a highly frustrating update that it doesn’t close after a date is selected anymore. Please revert back to what it was before.

2 Likes

I think that’s a bad user interface and I’m curious what the reasoning is behind the change.

How do I cast a vote that I believe this is a poor decision?

2 Likes

My suggestion would be to allow a “Double click” on the date to close the box and assign the date. A single click could keep the window open for those who wish to add a start date.

1 Like

You can find the vote option at the top of this thread, beside the title! I’ll make sure to share your feedback with our team! Thank you @Kevin_Beasley and @Kristina_Franklin1!

Thanks Emily! I’ve found some inconsistencies in the calendar window. I was on “My tasks” and clicked the date and then a new date about two weeks out and it assigned that date and closed the window with one click.

Apparently I’m part of the A/B test. My vote is strongly for changing it back!

Leaving a date picker open after picking the date not only disrupts years of muscle memory training using Asana, it’s a different UI from pretty much every other calendar picker in the known universe. Bad choice!

2 Likes

I completely agree with the other comments on this thread. Having to click twice first to select the date and second to close the date picker is extremely frustrating. Ideally this would revert to how it was previously set up where one click would close the date picker. Clicking twice is cumbersome. Thank you.

1 Like

The comments on this thread are on point. The extra click has broken my muscle memory and seems like an unnecessary extra step. Glad it’s being looked into and my vote is get it back to a one click setup as it was before the recent update.

2 Likes