Choose which fields are visible in Task board view

In the Asana Board layout, I want to know what mechanism determines the fields that appear in a Taskā€™s mini board view in the Projectā€™s Board view.

Restated: I want to know how to change which fields are visible in the Task (when the Task is presented as a small rectangle) when the Project is in Board view.

This is a page that I found about Asana Boards:

It looks obsolete with respect to how the Project page looks in 2019.

2 Likes

Hi @dksmith!

We are still in the process of updating our Guide articles regarding some of the new features and functionalities released in Asana and we are hoping to fix this soon! Apologies for the inconvenience. In the meantime, if you have any questions, donā€™t hesitate to reach out in the Forum. Weā€™ll be more than happy to assist you further!

Regarding your question, it is currently not possible to choose which Custom Fields to show in the Task Board view. If itā€™s Ok with you, Iā€™m moving your post to the #productfeedback category, to allow other users to vote for this feature request. Iā€™ve slightly edited the title to make it more discoverable. Please, donā€™t forget to upvote it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would love the ability to turn off custom fields on certain tasks in board view. I always have a column that is just resources/links relevant to that project or type of work. Say for design print projects, I have custom fields for reviewers, stakeholders, account numbers, vendors, etc. But in the resources column, all those fields are useless, and in fact because of them, the important information that I keep in the description is way too lowā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us @Laura_Chichisan!

There is a similar thread in the Forum: Choose which fields are visible in Task board view. If itā€™s ok with you Iā€™ll merge your post with the mentioned thread to consolidate feedback. Please donā€™t forget to cast your vote!

Thank you Laura! Looking forward to your reply!

1 Like

It would be great to ā€œcollapseā€ tasks within Board view. That is, just see the task title. Thx.

2 Likes

Hi Rhoda,

I made a request regarding tasks collapsing. Do not hesitate to upvote it if thatā€™s what you are looking forward to!

2 Likes

There is a workaround here:

1. Go to List view
  2. Choose to ā€œhideā€ columns/fields that you donā€™t want to appear in your Board view. You can do this by right clicking on the column header, or going to customize > toggle field from on to off.
  3. When you go to Board view, you will not be able to view fields that you have hidden / turned off

We use a number of different project templates for Asana and in a couple of examples, we use the board view to keep tabs of in progress items and drag and drop into columns. For our content planner, we have a form that populates a number of custom and pre-defined fields - in board view, all this detail is displayed on the cards which can look really messy and difficult to read at a glance so we would like to be able to summarise only key fields whilst maintaining all fields populated in the full detail.

Would it be possible to consider allowing users to choose what information is displayed on the cards in board view i.e. choose to hide certain fields on board view card summary and then only show the full details when you click into the details.

2 Likes

You can do that by ā€œturning offā€ custom fields in Customize menu. That way these field values will not be displayed on a card in board view, but they will still be available on the right pane when you open a task.

Hi Ilyas - yes that is possible but that then also removes the columns from the list view which we donā€™t want - we only want to tailor the view in board view. Is that possible?

3 Likes

Hi @Susan_Staley ,

Welcome to the Asana Forum :hugs:

This is not possible yet. Such feedback was already submitted.

You can upvote that request; the more upvotes the higher the possibility that the feature request gets prioritised.

I am going to merge this request with the one linked above which has already 25 votes and conversations going on.

Cheers
Rosario,

1 Like

Just a note of support! Would love to be able to customize the ā€˜cardā€™ on the board view, while maintaining the details on the task view. We have 20+ custom fields in some projects, so thereā€™s far too much clutter and excess when viewing the cards. It would be lovely to be able to select which of the custom fields appears to ensure that its most relevant to the viewer.

UPDATE: I just found the on/off toggle which controls the visibility of custom fields on the cards! Solved my part of this issue! Woot!

1 Like

How did you do that without removing the fields from the task?

Are you asking @NicoleK ? you can go into ā€œCustomiseā€ of the project and toggle off the field.

Sorry to resurrect an old threadā€¦ I appear to not have the on/off toggle (boxed in red above) on the customize view. How do I enable this?

Welcome, @anon4595235,

That functionality just moved to Show fields here:

Larry

Many thanks!

1 Like

Changing the ā€˜show/hideā€™ setting in the list view does not change it in the board view. Is there some way to hide them there as well?

1 Like

This thread may be useful to you. My problem is that any time I switch to a different project, it reverts back to the default view. So I have to change whichever fields I have ā€œhiddenā€ every timeā€¦

@Julia_Westbrook just use the save icon on the right (sloppy disk icon) to save as default :slight_smile: