Carrying Custom Fields to Projects after converting from Task

Hello team,

My organization uses a project intake process through which new requests are submitted via form. The fields of the intake form are connected to custom fields which then populate in the Asana project. Once there the tasks are approved and converted into a standalone project. I have noticed that the custom fields from the form show up in the written project overview, but they do not carry over as project custom fields upon conversion. In order to apply those fields again at the project level this has to be done manually. Is there a way to automate this?

This would be a game changing feature for large scale organizations. Or if not this, a way to intake full blown projects directly from a form intake process.

Hi,

I believe the main obstacle right now is that a project only has fields if added to a portfolio holding those fields. But converting a task to a project does not have the ability to add to a portfolio. Until they add this ability, they won’t be able to add those fields

Does that make sense?

Yeah it makes sense, but it’s definitely a hinderance. It really feels more like a half implemented feature to be able to apply custom field values to projects but only in a portfolio view. There’s a general lack of ability to apply attributes to the overview of projects that feels like a major oversight.

I guess I should be flipping this to a feature request at this point.

2 Likes

“Product feedback” here is a feature request :+1:

2 Likes

Fully agree. I have manually moved the closed task into the project in order to have some historic data of the fields and then reopened it for any edits.

Actually it does

1 Like

For my dĂ©fense it did not at the time isn’t it? :grinning:

Haha @Bastien_Siebman, I’m not sure but you may be right - it may be something they added later, I don’t recall. We’ll give you the benefit of the doubt! :+1:

1 Like

Phil, does this mean that if you add the project to a portfolio, the custom fields will be linked to it and then you can report out on the fields of the portfolio by grouping the custom fields as well?

@Naiara_Azpiri,

I haven’t tested that specifically but no, I don’t think it does that.

1 Like

Ok, thank you

This has been released and should be live. Make sure that the field you would like to carry-over is added to the library on the project and portfolio level. Once the task is converted to the portfolio, any global fields (fields added to the library) should carry over from task to the newly created project

Reference: Converting task to project - field option info not transferring from task to project - #2 by lpb

1 Like

This has been available for a while. See:

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like