Can I use guest users at my organization?

I am interested in using Asana at home and at my small business. Could I invite my coworkers as guests? It would be less than 10 people.

I looked to see if there were any conditions on inviting guests and I couldn’t find any. It seems this like this should be ok, but I just wanted to ask first. I want to invite my coworkers as guests because they really do not need the features of a full member. Asana looks great, but the price for multiple seats would be cost prohibitive.

Thanks,
Tyler

Hi @Tyler_K,

First, it depends on whether you set yourself up with a Workspace or an Organization.

If you have an organization, which means you used a work email address with your company’s email domain, then if you co-workers join using emails with that same domain, they will be full members, not guests. The only way they will be guests is if they join using an email at a different domain. In other words, you can’t choose to invite someone as a full member or a guest; it’s determined by their email address domain.

If you have a workspace, then there is no such thing as a guest. There are Full Members and Limited Access Members, and you can choose which one to invite someone as . However, you’ll pay for a user regardless of which type they are, so from a cost standpoint it doesn’t help to invite someone as a Limited Access Member.

All of the above assumes you have a paid plan. If you are jsut using a Free version of Asana, then you’ll have a workspace, not an organization, and it has an upper limit of 15 users (Full Members or Limited Access, it doesn’t matter).

Aside from the above, here are a few more relevant links:

1 Like

Just for completeness, there are free organizations too!

Larry

Oops, of course there are - senior moment!

1 Like

I have no idea what you could be talking about!

1 Like

@Phil_Seeman @lpb

Thanks for the response!

My question was more geared towards whether this is considered an acceptable use case. My plan is to sign up with my personal email and invite my coworkers via their personal email or work email; we won’t be sharing a domain. This will help keep the cost down.

As a follow up question, are there any strong reasons why I would want to create an organization and invite my coworkers as members? I understand that guests cannot be upgraded to members at a later time, so my coworkers would be locked in as guests, but, as far as I can tell at the moment, there aren’t any features of a full member that they would need. It seems like creating an organization with members is more about easing administrative burden. With my approach, there will be a lot more manual administrative work, but there will be very few guests so it isn’t a major concern to me. However, my understanding of the product is limited at this time, so there may be very compelling reasons not to take my approach.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!

@Tyler_K,

Orgs (but not Workspaces) allow you to create Teams which is usually a great help in organizing your work in Asana by type/dept/workgroup.

Otherwise, maybe in your particular case there are not many other differences, but I think for the reason above an Org is a better way to go.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

@lpb

I’m assuming I’d have to sign up with my work email to create an organization. Sounds like a custom email domain is required for the creation of an organization. Am I correct here?

Assuming I have to use my work email, I’d also like to know if there is a way to merge two Asana accounts. I currently have a trial with Asana under my personal email and another trial under my work email. I already spent a lot of time importing data into the account setup with my personal email. If I have to use my work email, then I’d prefer to just merge the two instead of reimporting all of my data into the other account. Also, If I merge these two accounts into one, will they both be under one payment plan? That is, if I subscribe Asana premium or business, will I have full access to all the paid features in each workspace/organization setup by each account?

Phil, If I’m understanding this correctly, this means that the free version provides 15 free members but the premium/business versions do not. Put another way, every single member in a premium/business workspace/organization adds to your subscription fee. Am I correct here?

If this is the case, it seems rather odd… Not sure why the free version would provide free members but a paid for version would not…

Yes, as Phil mentioned above.

Re your other questions, you are able to join any number of email addresses that are yours which is helpful, to toggle among workspaces/orgs any of them can see. But this doesn’t merge those orgs/workspaces. There’s some complexity with your other questions and I’ll have to defer to others here who may know better and have more time, or you can search the forum for prior answers, or the Asana Guide, or support@asana.com.

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks very much for your quick responses Larry. I sent my other questions to the email address you provided.

Much appreciated.

Tyler

1 Like