Can I auto populate due dates in one section of my project?

In each project, I have a section called “SHIPPING” with 6 tasks under it. They are always in chronological order. The 1st being “exit factory” and the 6th being “live for sale” - in between are always the same set of tasks and chronological due dates to track a prodcuts’ movement. I want the top , first, date to trigger the remainig 5 to first autopopulate. Like “task 1” is Nov. 1. Then the next is always 30 days after that, the following always 7 days after, etc. Possible?

2 Likes

Hi Kelly,

I don’t think it is possible to do that automatically.
If you have access to the new Rules feature, you could create 1 extra custom Drop-down field for your projects and use 6 rules to set your dates automatically when selecting the right option.
For example:
When changing the drop-down option to “exit factory”, set the due date to 3 days in the future.
When changing the drop-down option to “warehouse”, set the due date to 30+3 (33) days in the future.
When changing the drop-down option to “exit warehouse”, set the due date to 30+3+7 (40) days in the future.

Since the time gap between each task is different, you will need 6 different rules.

If you had the same gap, you could use Dependency between tasks and 1 rule to set the due date automatically upon completion of the previous task in the hierarchy.

1 Like

Ju2 - thanks for this idea and guide and quick reply! Here’s my next question, if in my template, I create these 6 “rules” for dates “in the future”… once I enter that first due date in the first task with a rule attached… will the other due dates drop in, based on my rule, automatically?

1 Like

Unfortunately no, this won’t work.
For each rule, selecting a dropdown option in the custom field of a task will set the due date of this specific task based on what you decided. This is automatic, based on the rule.
But there is no link between Task 1 and Task 2, or possible rule to set a due dates to multiple tasks at once.
If for some reason you need to readjust the dates after you selected your dropdown options, you’ll have to do it manually.

With this system, at least an approximate date will be set for each task without having to use the calendar, I guess? Saves a few clicks.
But since the rules are specific to a project (and cannot be copied or managed over the entire team or account), it could be a bit too much set up for what you are trying to do.

I’m sure Asana will come up with a better system soon, since they just released this feature.

One way around, if you want to use this method for all your projects, would be to have 1 extra project just to set up those rules.

1 Like

This is possible with my Flowsana integration - what you’re describing is the Dynamic Duration workflow type. You set each task as dependent on the one above it, and enter a duration (that’s your 30 days, 7 days,etc.) for each task in a Duration custom field. All task dates will be automatically calculated and set based on the dependency structure and durations. Further, it’s all kept updated if dates change after initial population.

2 Likes