Calendar and Repetitive Cycle Task Help

BackStory: Hey everyone! We’ve decided to use a task template for a project that is recurring every 6 weeks (A menu cycle where there are emails, website builds, etc etc) .

I met with a couple team members today (I’m on the biz tier) and we created a company wide calendar just listing actual dates of things, like “6 week Menu Cycle”. for when it starts.

We back dated the sub tasks in the first task template, with the final deadline being the date the new menu cycle starts. Worked great!

The problem: I thought I could set it to show up as a recurring event every 6 weeks, but if I do that, then the next 6 week cycle only shows up when the first task is marked as completed. That’s not going to work, as we’re trying to get all the launch dates of these projects scheduled out for the year so we can plan AROUND Them. I’m trying really hard to keep everything in asana for ease of use.

Question: What is best practice here? I THINK the best practice is to copy the “6 week menu cycle task” and then slide it down to the following 6 weeks and then re-assign the tasks based on the human? My thought was the FIRST sub task would be assigned to me (the project manager) to 'distribute the tasks" so like 2 weeks before the work needs to get done I have a task to assign this to everyone.

Is this the right way to move forward? I’m not sure. We’re still a relatively new company (entering our 3rd year) so I still need some fluidity in creating sub tasks because some things may change as we grow/evolve and I don’t want to have to go re-edit 6 months worth of copied tasks.

Thoughts?
Could a work-around be a sub task that repeats each menu cycle somehow and then all the sub-tasks auto-populate when the 6-week cycle before is checked off?

HELP!
I’d pay for some guidance here, too, if there are any asana pros in this group.

Thanks!

It is indeed a know issue, for recurring task only the next occurence is visible. There is a dedicated thread on the topic, @Emily_Roman will link it.
To work around that limitation I created a tool to create all those instances in advance iDO Tools - Improve Asana with our tools and automations

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, @Caroline_Ritenour!

When you set up a recurring task, it will only appear for the next time the task is due, not every single time the recurring task is due in the future. Once you mark a recurring task completed, it will duplicate itself for the next time the recurring task is set to be due.

We already have a request for this feature in the forum, you can add your vote here: Visibility of all Recurring tasks. I also recommend you checking the workaround shared by Bastien.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks!

1 Like