Calculate time to complete a task

Shouldn’t it be easy to calculate the # of days between when a task is created and when it is marked as complete? Not sure why this isn’t a built-in Asana-provided field.

Hi @anon89975564, thanks for reaching out and thanks for sharing this feedback!

I’ve gone ahead and send your suggestion to our team in charge of the Voice of the Customer Program and I’ll keep this thread updated once I have an update.

In the meantime, you can find some workarounds in this thread: Can is see “Completed time stamp” in search result or report?

I hope this helps!

thanks. looking forward to hearing an update on this.

Hello @Emily_Roman
Is there any update regarding it?

Hi @anon5704455, welcome to the Asana Community Forum! As it stands, it’s currently not possible to see the exact time in Asana but you can export your project to CSV and then build a report in Excel or Google Spreadsheets to calculate the time. In the CSV export we include the creation time and completion time. Hope this helps!

I am looking to track how long tasks takes between creation date and completion date. Ideally, whenever a task is complete, there would be a query of the start date and a comment made in the task, or some other record make, showing how many days the task took.

I would use this to see how long each task takes on average

Hello @Eli_Zbar

here is an existing feedback request thread to vote on:

This would be workarounds atm:

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No built in functions, however you could create a number field (e.g., “days to compete”) and change the column summary to averages. It will be a manual process.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I’m happy to announce we are launching the new Metadata Fields! Going forward, you will be able to add the following fields to the project list view by toggling them on from the Customize Menu:

Created on
Created by
Completed on
Last modified on

With this update, we are hoping to unblock more powerful workflows, for example, you would now be able to clearly see whether or not tasks were completed on the expected due date and how long it took from the creation date of the task until it was completed.

Thanks for all the feedback you shared about this feature! If you have any questions, please reach out via our #tips category!