Burndown Charts in Asana

There are a scattered assortment of discussions from people asking for Burndown or up charts directly within Asana - almost all of them have either gone dead, or point to 3rd party solutions with no support or that cost as much as Asana does in the first place. This is the largest thread on the discussion : Creating a burn down charts using custom fields, but I can’t seem to get a response on it, so I figured I’d start this question again:

Why doesn’t Asana support burndown charts using custom fields? You’re SO close - The Insights graph is literally everything the user needs except the ability to sample from an Estimated Hours Remaining (story points) field instead of number of tasks?

Also, realistically, when is number of tasks ever a useful metric unless we’re at massive enterprise scale? You guys spent some serious time beautifully integrating a nearly useless feature, but didn’t do the one remaining step to unlocking it completely.

14 Likes

Hi @Keith_Guerrette, thanks for reaching out and taking the time to share your feedback with us!

This is a very good question. As you mentioned we currently don’t support burndown charts using custom fields. Our product team is continuously working on some updates and we hope to have good news soon! I’ve gone ahead and moved your thread to our product feedback category to allow votes and I’ll make sure to keep you posted when I have any news :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have any other questions!

1 Like

Bump. Any news on this? You are very close…

This is a feature that has my company considering leaving your product and going to Jira.
I know of a different company that has already left Asana because you’re lacking important software-dev tools like this.

I realize you’re probably trying to differentiate yourself from Jira/Atlassian… but that doesn’t mean you should hamstring your tool and completely ignore an important set of features every kanban system should have these days.

Low hanging fruit folks!

5 Likes

Is custom field burndown chart support on Asana’s feature roadmap? Atlassian provides it on Jira. Would like to see Asana support this rather than considering switching to Jira for it.

Thanks for sharing whether there are plans to support and timing.

2 Likes

Any news on that?

Is something that could boost the power of this tool, but still not implemented like code snippets

I managed to create a burndown chart for every sprint we have in our team and manually (a little JS script that connects to the project) draw the burndown calculating open/closed issues, but its a repetitive tasks that have to be done every day.

This is a very important feature for the dev teams. I’m surprised there aren’t that many votes.

I’m currently looking for an online tool to produce burndown and velocity charts, anyone can recommend something?

I’ve moved my dev teams over to using Favro - it too leaves some things to be desired, but at least the team over there understands the value of burndown charts and is quite responsive/helpful.

6 Likes

Pretty surprising Asana doesn’t have any way to run aggregated tracking on story points or do things like burndown charts. ClickUp does this pretty well and we’ve switched to that for now. Not perfect and not quite as easy to use as Asana, but it’s more robust for scrum teams.

This is a very longed for function, as non of your add-ons don’t really have the function, or well Jira have, but then there is no need for Asana.

I hope there can soon be an update with this.

Hi @Maria_Hovgaard_Rasmu

There is an add-on for that, see Burndown chart for Asana - Screenful Guide for Asana

Yeah i looked at it before commeting, but it would be nice to have it build-in, as it will but another tool to have to use. My team tries to have as few different tools as possible, we bare busy enough :smiley:

I keep seeing a fairly high degree of frustration around Asana’s lack of support for any type of standard project reporting - in my case reporting on anything other than the completely and utterly useless metric of number of tasks. As indicated here, burndown charts on Custom Fields (i.e. Effort Remaining, Story Points, whatever), would be an incredible value add.

The part that I personally continue to be frustrated by is a complete lack of acknowledgement around the subject from anyone at Asana - I’ve tried hacking this in a thousand different ways, and at every step, you guys have failed to provide the final 5% of the tool that I need for this to be a huge success.

So I suppose my question to you - Do the team members at Asana not agree that burndown charts, etc fit into the intended use of Asana? If that’s not the case, then how many votes does this actually need in order to be considered for support?

We’re going on YEARS of requests and comments for better project reporting, with more or less no reasonable response indicating intention or lack of interest from you guys. Can you at least give us an answer that ‘yes, this will be supported one day’ or no, this never will, so that I can move on and stop considering asana as a hopeful solution one day?

5 Likes

I use a custom field for estimated hours for tasks. Is there some way to pull those out from the task list?

I’m wondering the same! Seems like an obvious must have feature. Any plans for implementing this?

1 Like

Don’t hold your breathe on this one- nothing in the responses or available discussions from Asana indicate any interest in supporting this or other actually useful project reporting tools.

I am still baffled by how much they believe in the number of tasks being a metric of importance.

5 Likes

Some basic agile reporting would go a long way in this product. Simple burndown charts and other types of velocity reporting are a huge hole.

Hello @anon10913002 welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

I recommend upvoting on this existing thread: Burndown Charts in Asana

1 Like

Well, I’m super disappointed right now. I got sooo excited when I saw that you now support a chart type called “Burn Up” on project Dashboards, AND you support custom fields on the Y axis.

Unfortunately, I was wrong in my original description of this task - there is one huge missing piece for any of this to work, and the current implementation is almost comedic - the chart needs to show the historical aggregate value from past dates!

Here’s an example of the current implementation:

• When I created this task on the 22nd, I gave it a time estimate of 20 hours remaining:

• Today, when I update that task to 5 hours remaining, it updates the full historical record of the burn[down] chart:

Honestly, if I hadn’t been waiting for support or some minimal response on this for over 2 years, I’d probably be upset by this, but it seems like a rather comedic fit to the rest of the support experience and response.

It has been 2 years almost three years, we were told this was on Asana’s list of things to do. In fact, I see it on multiple chats. Yet there is nothing. This isn’t hard guys ! really is not. Have an hours needed field in all tasks. any plot (total hours - completed hours) by day . Also have and adjustable hours per day line so we can line up an estimate. Why does it take so long to create this powerful feature?

1 Like

Asana just doesnt care about its user base …

1 Like