Bug with permissions when utilizing Highlights on Project Status updates

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
When you use a highlight on a project Status Update and you try to click on it to drill into the information it stops you with the " Looks like you need access to this project. Would you like to send a request to the owner?" screen. I tested this in the Asanaverse demo space, on multiple projects, with multiple users, and on multiple browsers and I was able to recreate the issue each time. It also doesn’t seem to matter if you are a project owner or just a project member as it doesn’t work either way.

Steps to reproduce:

  1. Open a Status update for a project you own or are a part of
  2. Drag and drop a highlight into the report
  3. Click on that data in the highlight to drill into that information
  4. The next screen is the “Looks like you need access to this project. Would you like to send a request to the owner?”

Browser version: Chrome

Upload screenshots below:
Clicking a data highlight on a Project Status Report:
image

Need Permissions Screen:
image

Hi @Matt_Dickinson and thank you so much for the detailed report! I was able to reproduce the issue on my end too, so I’ve filed a bug for our team to investigate! I’ll keep you posted here as soon as I have an update!

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds good, glad it isn’t just us getting this bug. If it helps, this was brought to my attention by one of our users and he said the functionality worked last Thursday when he was putting together his Status Updates but isn’t working now.

1 Like

Hi @Matt_Dickinson :wave:

Just a quick update to let you know our team has pushed an update to fix this issue. I can’t seem to reproduce on my account, so you should be all set on your end too!

Thanks again for the report and for your help!

1 Like

Excellent, thanks @Marie!

Side note - I tried to confirm the bug was fixed for me but it seems to still be happening on both my Asanaverse projects and in my Company’s Asana instance. I am not sure if this is because the update hasn’t fully be rolled out but I’ll try again later this week and confirm if the bug is fixed or not.

Whoops! That should definitely not be the case! Any chance you could send me a screencast including your URL bar (either via DM in the Forum, or in Asanaverse)?

Thanks for sharing the screenshots @Matt_Dickinson, I’ve followed with our team and moved this thread back to #bugs:in-progress for the time being. I’m OOO through the end of the week, but @Emily_Roman will keep you posted here if we get an update before the weekend!

Nevermind @Matt_Dickinson, I just re-opened this bug to realise the fix is currenlty only available in beta (hence why I can’t reproduce anymore - but you can!).

The fix should be live for all users later today, so this should soon be fixed on your end too! So sorry for missing this key piece of info :scream:

1 Like

@Marie Ok, great! I confirmed this morning that it is working correctly now. Thanks for working with the team to get this corrected so quickly!

1 Like

Thanks for the follow-up and for your help @Matt_Dickinson! Have a great Monday!

1 Like