Break away from subtasks

:tired_face: This is a scenario I am seeing over and over again: users discover subtasks, and they rush to build everything around them. Only to discover weeks or months later it has limitations and does not work the way you think they work!

:dizzy: In this video, I am using the example of property management to illustrate how to break away from subtasks. I have helped at list 3 property management companies in this exact situation!

:fr: Version Française

3 Likes

Oh no, @Bastien_Siebman hating on subtasks again!

Just kidding. You make a great point and the video is excellent. I see this more than a few times with Flowsana customers as well, and now I will start referring them to your video for a demo of an alternate solution.

The one drawback I see in your approach is that while you have “the best of both worlds”, it’s in two separate places. Yes, I know you have a link to the project in the task, but you’re still having to manage things, both physically and mentally, in two places.

For example, say I’m working in a property project and I mark a task complete, which means it now has entered a new stage. I then have to go to the “meta project”, find the task for that property, and move it to the next column. Yes, I could search for the task, which would be faster, but it’s still an extra step to type or copy-paste into the search box and find the property’s task, that’s external to the project itself.

What do you say?

1 Like

100% true :slight_smile: no workaround and we kinda have the same issue with client’s task holding a status that we need to manually update when a quote is approved for example. That always leads to inconsistent data

1 Like

Excellent video @Bastien_Siebman!

I freak out with some clients who use subtasks for everything in a project. But at the same time, when I try to convince them to create separate projects and have them all in a portfolio I always hear: “I like to have everything in one single place” and/or “I don’t wanna go through different projects to update some information” and so on (similar to what @Phil_Seeman mention above).

I will show your video to some clients as a reference. Hope they will get convinced

I believe it comes down to a trade off: I’d rather have tons of projects neatly organised but do the extra effort to find them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

couldn’t you use portfolios to manage the groups of projects for each property? then the property can have a status on it of where it is in the lifecycle & you only have things in one place?