🎥 Using subtasks because a project looks too big is usually not a good reason

I did it, you did it, dozens of other Asana users will make this mistake too one day: using subtasks because a project is too big (and we are freaking out!!).

In this video, I show you how to stop pretending that your project is too big and how to get out of it!

And you, what are your tricks to avoid running away from a complex project?

7 Likes

Agreed, @Bastien_Siebman. Very practical advice and nice video. I often find subtasks to be useful as an informal working checklist while working on a give task during a specific work session. It can also be helpful for bit-sized work items that need to have repeatable steps done to complete it, and is a good fit for including in a task template. :+1:

2 Likes

This is helpful advise. I will keep this in mind while creating next project plan

Totally agree with “promote subtasks to tasks as much as possible”. However somedays it collides with another of our agency’s guidelines:

One task has one responsibility
As long as one task belongs to one person, we try to summarize the responsibility within that task (using subtasks as steps). For us, this does also include approvals. It makes project management easier and encourages “doing something until it’s done”.

1 Like

You cannot build timelines based on sections right (ie have one long bar for the sections)?

Having everything as tasks, especially with a due date on a certain date, makes the timeline hard to use as all the tasks appear as a mini-bar with a bunch of cut-off text.

Am I the only one to face this?

Not yet no.