Boolean Value Custom Fields

It would be great if we could have some boolean value custom fields. For me personally it would be extremely valuable to our API integrations.

For example, i’d like to have a custom field that is called ‘blocked’ which is just a true/false or a checkbox.

Obviously a similar thing could be achieved with a ‘status’ field i.e. open, in progress, blocked or it could be achieved with a ‘blocked’ tag. But the UX would be far cleaner if I could just tick a box.

I can see plenty of great applications for such a field and would tie in nicely to automations on those fields.

2 Likes

This is possible today.

1 Like

Yes, you can do that, but when you interact via the API it’s not a boolean value, you have to go through the custom fields and interrogate the values for string ‘true’ or string ‘false’ it’s not clean.

Hi @Frank_Clark, thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback!

While this type of custom field isn’t available at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future .

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

@Frank_Clark,

While it doesn’t solve your problem, the best workaround for now, I feel, is a single-select custom field but with one option value, not two. So your Blocked? custom field would be defaulted with no value and you have the opportunity to value it with a checkmark :heavy_check_mark: when true. Of course, in the API it’s still not really a Boolean but in the UI it actually operates nicely to avoid distracting until it’s turned on.

Larry

1 Like

Please add a simple ‘check box’ as a custom field type, for binary (true/false) use cases. For example, I’d like to be able to filter / report on tasks for which the due date is fixed (i.e. needed for a client meeting or event). as opposed to one that’s flexible (could move back, depending on the user / team’s workload). If a due date isn’t fixed (true), it doesn’t need a value. Currently, the option is to use a ‘single select’ drop-down field, with both ‘fixed’ and ‘flexible’ values.

2 Likes

Hi @anon49424542, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

Thanks for providing this feedback!

While this feature isn’t available right now, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

I am interested in this too. … any news about this new feature?

This request is a duplicate of another so I’m merging this thread and you can vote at the top of this thread now, if you haven’t already (previous votes, including mine, are merged).

I offer the best current workaround you can use for now here:

Larry

2 Likes

Glad I found this thread! This is something our team could really use as well. Having “done / not done” values in a single-select field just isn’t the same, especially when we have a project that has 15+ column headers. It can easily get lost!

I’ve just started using Asana. It’s absolutely bizarre/shocking to me that Asana, a product that is nearly 15 years old, doesn’t support a basic boolean data type. We’re talking a handful of hours of coding time. What is the issue here? Is the product this poorly supported in other areas?

4 Likes

Is the product this poorly supported in other areas?

Yes.

What makes it win is that it integrates with other products very easily. There are a few other apps that are better - and free.