Base line on ASANA

Hello!
I would like to have a “Base Line” in asana projects to notice and reports changes in it. Any idea for this?

2 Likes

Hi @PedroPablo_Leon - Could you please elaborate on what you mean by base line? If you’re able to describe what you’re looking for in more detail, then we’ll be happy to help!

I would like to have a way to compare the original program of the project and the process of it, visualy see delays, when it change people responsabilities, statues, due date changes, etc…

1 Like

Instagantt has this – very helpful, esp. when rescheduling tasks.

7 Likes

Thanks for clarifying, Pedro! Asana’s new Timeline features is great for this, as well :slight_smile:

Other options include Dashboards and saved Advanced Search reports.

1 Like

Hi Pedro,

Moreover, every task has a history where you can see who changed what when, e.g. what you wanted like due dates and assignees.

Enjoy

1 Like

Hi, I know this is and old thread, but I am looking for this exact functionality, ideally without having to outside to an integration, but I think I’m afraid I will…I’m pretty sure @PedroPablo_Leon is talking about the concept of “baseline” which is a fundamental of Project Management. Other tools like Hive, Zenkit, etc. have this feature and it’s great. Basically, you can see how your plan is tracking in reality vs. your original plan.

So if you start a project on March 22, and your original due date is April 24, you should be able to see the original due date in comparison to when it actually ends. Then, you should be able to report on your success with these baselines longer-term.

As I need this I’m going to check out InstaGantt, but I don’t think Timelines or Portfolios have this at all per @Alexis suggestion. Granted, the Portfolio and Timeline in Asana are about as slick as of UI and user-friendly as anything I’ve see out there! They just don’t actually have any baseline functionality at all…

Thanks!

11 Likes

You’re right, there is no way of doing it. I tried to create extra fields for planned / current dates and I can’t even do that, so I have to create another version of the project to be able to keep the original dates to be able to document changes. This is a big problem for me.

2 Likes

Agree. This really needs to be implemented to consider this a useful PM tool. As a PM I need capture slippage and be able to compare changes/delays across a large project? Currently I am exporting to CSV as a baseline. However, the fact that I have to leave the S/W tool and start using Excel to review Baselines seems to defect the purpose of the tool.

6 Likes

Hi, I am also looking for this baseline functionaility. This would be a wonderful comparison tool.

2 Likes

Please add baseline view and also a way to incorporate that into reports. It would be helpful to be able to show, on a specific milestone, the delta between original due date and actual results. The current reports are not very useful and also have multiple bugs when adding highlights.

4 Likes

Chiming in here. I really don’t find Timelines helpful for saving baselines, and comparing our original schedule to the current state of things.

Yes, there is history tracking but it is so cluttered with cascading dependency notifications and updates any time a small change is made that it diminishes the usability of that feature to the point where I don’t even bother trying anymore.

What I would love to see is an actual, specific baseline tracker so that when you are setting up a project, you can input your expected durations for each portion of the project. These would be stored somewhere and would not change. Changes would be consolidated into a ‘current view’ that would let me see where we are now vs where we are supposed to be. It would also be great if there was a notes section that let me record the cause of specific delays (or gains in time) as the project progresses :slight_smile:
Right now I have to track all baselines separately in a spreadsheet as other posters mentioned and then compare them and it is a huge time drain.

9 Likes

Hi Sarah,

Where can I find this history tracking ?

Thanks !!

I agree with the posts on here. A baseline feature would be really useful, I want to be able to see the slippages in my project, and the workarounds suggested are not really very useful. Many project management tools have this baseline feature, even Microsoft Project has this. Can we perhaps add this to the feature roadmap or put it out there for a vote to get on the roadmap?

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 10 days. New replies are no longer allowed.