Ability to take a snapshot of the timeline to establish a baseline of the project

It would be great to be able to establish a baseline of the project timeline so you can track your actual progress against the ā€œscheduledā€ timeline.

The baseline feature from Instagantt (integrated partner for Asana?).

4 Likes

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for sharing this idea with us @Danny_Tae_Hoon_Lee, we will definitely evaluate this option for future improvements!

+1

I wish for this every week. Itā€™s a key part of managing stakeholder expectation and reporting results about a project.

1 Like

+1. My org uses InstaGantt and one requirement for reporting is to track against a Baseline. This feature is essential to a Gantt, and really the only major missing feature for my companyā€™s needs.

1 Like

Is this something that is being considered at all? Having to report to compliance committees and the information they need really relies on baseline reporting on moved projects and at task level.

Or is there an add on that we can look at?

Hello, I am evaluating the Business version of this product being able to provide what is needed to ā€˜manageā€™ projects. Baselining is, of course, critical to managing projects. I could not find how to baseline and being new to Asana, After researching using Google, Iā€™ve come to understand baseline capability is not native to Asana, that I must go with Instagantt for addition cost. My primary question is whether or not I can reasonably expect this basic PM feature to be implemented anytime soon? Or, where might I find ā€œFeatures for next versionā€ roadmap for Asana. Thank you. Laura

2 Likes

This is essential for anyone trying to professionally manage a project.

3 Likes

Is it possible to baseline a schedule in Timeline?

Hi @Gerald_Thomas :wave:t2:

In order to assist you best here, could you please provide some more details on what exactly you hope to achieve with Timeline and what you mean when you refer to ā€œbaselineā€?

Looking forward to hearing back from you! :slight_smile:

Iā€™d like to be able to look at the timeline in its original form with start/due dates (baseline schedule) to compare to actual start/completion dates. To baseline is to have a saved view of the original schedule. Can this be done in Timeline view?

Hi @Gerald_Thomas, thanks for getting back to me!

It would not be possible to view the original Timeline prior to any changes, at this time. However, this is a popular request in the Forum so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with an existing #productfeedback thread to consolidate feedback! :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll loop back in with you if I have any updates! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Rebecca.

1 Like

Any progress / roadmap update ?

I have seen a similar ask for baselining in the past, but the provided solution of ā€œTimelineā€ still falls short of the requirement. We need an easy way to compare dates in list view and to be able to report on the variance in various ways. Would be nice to see a more appropriate solution.

1 Like

Hi @Brian_Leaton, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

While this feature isnā€™t available at this time, hopefully itā€™s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

Iā€™ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

It would be a work arround when we had a custom field of the type ā€œDateā€ (unfortunately not yet available), then I would create a field called ā€œoriginal Due Dateā€. And that would give the opportunity to at least track ā€œdue dateā€ with ā€œoriginal due dateā€.

I find it interesting that Asana has published an article about the importance of using project baselines, but doesnā€™t offer them as a feature. Please consider this another vote/request for a baselining feature!

3 Likes

I agree with Matt here.

What is Asanaā€™s recommended best practice or methodology for baselining a project plan and keeping track of all if its iterations? Any work arounds until this feature is deployed?

5 Likes

Any updates on this 3 years old feature request?

2 Likes

Baselines - any news? This looks like itā€™s been hanging around for a long time and as first time user of asana Iā€™m surprised this pretty standard (and much needed requirement of any project management tracking tool) isnā€™t available.

4 Likes