Auto Assign User to Task

Hi all,

I have 2 different Projects. Tal’s To Do List and Hope’s To Do List.

Is there a way to auto assign Tal and Hope in their respective projects when I create a new task?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Tal

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to auto-assign tasks that you create in Projects in Asana, but there are a couple of tricks you might want to use:

1. Any task created in your My Tasks list or using the QuickAdd button at the top of your screen will automatically be assigned to you.

2. If you’re creating a whole list of tasks for another team member, you can multi-select these tasks then assign them in bulk (Task actions: create, move, duplicate, and more | Product guide • Asana Product Guide)

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

Hello, we have an organization with many departments. Please let us know if there is a way that tasks under a specific project can be “auto” assigned to the person that is in charge of managing this project. Currently, when tasks are added to the project, they are left unassigned until a manager assigns it. But for many projects, there is one person in-charge of executing the task. It would be great if all incoming requests can be auto-assigned to the person in charge without a manager going in every day to handle task assignments that could be handled automatically. Thank you.

4 Likes

Hi @CANN_Media, Michael here from the Asana support team here.

As @KaylaT noted above, while this type of automation isn’t possible in-product, it absolutely is if you’re able to use our API. This may require the work of a developer, who would be able to create a bot to assign tasks in randomize/round robin fashion.

In the mean time, I also want to take this opportunity to familiarize you with our Developers & API section of the Asana community (https://forum.asana.com/c/developersAPI), which will prove to be an invaluable resource to crowd source knowledge from fellow developers using our API about making this possible. Additionally, I’m sure there are a number of folks with whom you could also engage with that you could probably commission to make this happen for you and your team :slight_smile:

Hope this adds a bit of clarity with regard to what’s possible!

1 Like