Attachment indicator in tasks

Yes, I completely agree! This feature needs to be implemented as soon as possible (top priority). This is an issue within my organization, as well. I also need it for my own personal Asana tasks. How do I submit my vote?

1 Like

Hi @Richard_Sather, @anon6102322, and @Kimberly_Shields, both topics have been merged into this thread.

Thank you all for contributing to this feature request.

Remember to vote above! :+1: :grinning:

2 Likes

Cheers @David_Nelson !

1 Like

Hi Richard,

Thank you for taking prompt action on this request! I appreciate your support; information on workarounds until this feature is rolled out and requesting that topics be merged so they can be viewed and voted on by the community.

Thank you. Iā€™m excited to be using Asana for my personal and professional needs.

1 Like

Thank you @David_Nelson!

1 Like

Any news about this enhancement?
It is the only reason we donā€™t use asana in my team and it really annoys me as I believe itā€™s the best tool available at the moment.
It baffles me that such a simple feature makes the whole app unsuited to accommodate our needs. But unfortunately it really let us loose lot of time to open each task in order to see if there is or there is not an attachment.

2 Likes

Totally agree! Hope they add attachment indicator in tasks.

Yes please or provide a clear workaround to give us a paperclip icon in list and kanban view for any paid versionā€¦

Hi there - when using List view, is there an easier way to see which tasks have files/attachments, without having to click into the detail of the task/subtask?
I understand a customised Field can be created, but having this automated to all users are aware of which tasks have files/attachments would be extremely helpful

Hi @Tiff_Wigg , welcome to the forum :wave:
This can be automated if you are on the Business plan, as I mentioned above, here.

My organization uses Outlook for email.
In Outlook (browser), the presence or absence of attachments is displayed like the following image, making it easy to understand.
So, I would like Asana to display the presence or absence of attachments as well.

1 Like

Hi,@Richard_Sather
Good suggestion.
However, I think that it is insufficient as a countermeasure to the original feedback.
How do you like it?

Hi @Ka_Nishiyama , I would definitely like to see the original feedback request to show the paperclip icon in List view!

The ā€˜workaroundā€™ I suggested was just a counter measure until this feedback request actually gets implemented :smiley:

1 Like

HI @Richard_Sather, I think that using the rule function to change the value of the custom field is a good tentative plan.

I have a little problem with
*Rules for removing attachments are also required
*Custom fields are wider than the ā€œ:paperclip:ā€ mark (1 character)
*Rules need to be set for each project

1 Like

@Ka_Nishiyama , indeed these are all valid points!
You could create one project (with this single rule) which you can automatically multihome all your tasks to, but you still need to add the custom field to all projects, plus the rule to multi-home them to the master project with the ā€˜attachment addedā€™ rule.

Additionally, the dropdown could simply have a single option, a :paperclip: emoji to make the column as narrow as possible.

In the meantime, letā€™s hope Asana adds this icon soon, natively in the List and Board views so we can avoid such workarounds! :wink:

2 Likes

For anyone looking for a very simple solution to showing that a file has been attached, I just realized I can simply give my task a ā€˜likeā€™. I know that may not work for multi-person teams, but if you are a solo user or have just one team member, itā€™s a hack that is simple and quick. Hope it helps!

1 Like

For anyone still reading this there is a slight workaround now. With the new Rules updates you can edit custom text fields and the title.

So custom rule: When Attachment is added >>> Set task title to > Use the ā€œ+ā€ to add variable, select Task > Name, then in the text bar add a space and the paperclip emoji. On Windows windows key + period will open the emoji menu.

Itā€™s not the indicator I want but Iā€™ll take it for now.

3 Likes

Similarly to how there is an icon next to the title of a task when there are subtasks or comments, I think it would be super helpful if there was a ā€œlinkā€ icon so we know when weā€™ve attached a link to a task. Right now I just add the word (linked) at the end to indicate when Iā€™ve linked something.

Welcome, @Jennifer_Stanten,

Iā€™ve merged your post into an existing thread where you can click the title to scroll to the top and vote by clicking the purple Vote button.

Our team relies heavily on Asana for tracking issues on construction sites, and many of our tasks include photo attachments. However, in the current list view, as many people have said, itā€™s not immediately clear which tasks have images or other attachments. This forces us to click into each task and scroll through its details to check for an image, which is time-consuming, especially when most tasks do not have attachments.

To enhance usability, weā€™d love to see a new custom field type specifically for attachments. Ideally, this field would display small thumbnail icons of the attached images or files directly within the list view. Clicking on an icon would expand the image for a larger preview.

This feature would significantly streamline our workflow, allowing us to quickly scan tasks for attachments without the need for extra clicks. It would be particularly useful in industries like ours where visual documentation is a key part of task management. We believe this could benefit many users who rely on Asana to track work with visual elements.

Open to any suggestions that folks may have for achieving this already!

thanks