Assign multiple assignees on one task

For allowing the owners to have a high level view of all of the projects in progress, proposed, etc. You could use the portfolios feature. It allows you to clump multiple projects into one place. I’m not sure how the workload option in portfolios works since I haven’t quite managed to fully integrate portfolias with my team yet.

Not sure if this option would help you but it could be something worth looking into.

Is this something that can be viewed as a weekly/monthly calendar? I’m not seeing that option but maybe I haven’t dived deep enough yet? That’s what they really want to see.

It’s been five years, can anyone at Asana give any type of feedback? Or is it just never going to happen?

4 Likes

This would be fine if collaborators could see tasks on their calendars (IE I have to do this work tomorrow because I’m a collaborator / multiple people are working on it). Right now, only the assignee has it in their calendar. I would have to make individual subtasks with additional sets of due dates for everyone else in order for it to show.

1 Like

I would find it confusing if tasks I don’t have to do are on my calendar. It seems like that should be sacrosanct. If I want to see what other people are doing, wouldn’t I just go into the project and see?

I’m not sure on that one. I know that portfolios have a timeline view but not a calendar. It’s more for big picture of a an entire project as a whole not the individual tasks within a project. If they are needing to have a view of smaller tasks and not just the big picture of a project, you could maybe create a master project that the owners reference. And add any key tasks to that. It’s really easy to add tasks to other projects. Adn it’s still the same task so you don’t need to add multiple places. You could even set up some rules to automatically move what you need to see the owners to see or approve and tag them in comments so they are alerted that something new has been added or needs their attention.

They would be able to see everything that is coming through, you could set it up into section (needing approval, in progress, at risk, etc.) so that they can see it from a list or board view. And then (if due dates are attached to everything) they could look at the calendar view and see everything by the due date.

Not sure if this helps.

When is this feature going to be added?

1 Like

The solution to this is PROFOUNDLY easy without changing the Asana ethos of one assignee per task.

Are you ready?

:point_right: Create a custom field that can pull from the list of users in the workspace. Make it work the same as the assignee field – start typing and names will auto-complete.

Go one step further for the folks that want to assign to a team or business unit and all you need to do is create the ability to group members and guests. Once those GROUPS are enabled, create a custom field that pulls from the groups in the Workspace or Team.

This shouldn’t be that hard.

This is obviously VERY important to people. This might be one of the most requested features and it’s super easy to fix. Because the alternative is that the people in this forum and all of the clients I have as as Asana Certified Pro are going to start asking why they shouldn’t switch to Monday or Airtable or something else.

3 Likes

My partner and I have started doing something to solve for this by using what we call “Projectfolios.”

If you have multiple projects that you’d like to roll up into a single view, simply create a rule that multi-homes all tasks into another project into a section with the Project name. By doing this, you’ll be able to look at all projects in flight, organized by project. This works really well in the timeline view.

For instance,

1. You have 3 projects: Project A, Project B, Project C
  2. Create a project called Project A-C Rollup
  3. Create a rule that would multi-home all tasks added to Project A into a column/section called “Project A” inside of Project A-C Rollup
1 Like

I cannot believe that this has been requested by so many Asana’s users since 2017 and the issue is still not solved. Wow. Clearly, you should not have such a strict company philosophy that you are undermining the needs of your users.

Thanks for sharing your workaround, @Jeff_Gibbard1. That’s is indeed a nice workaround. But still, it is a workaround. However, it would be much more easier for all Asana’s users, if Asana themselves listened to their users and changed the system to accommodate their users needs.

1 Like

I need this because most of our task are assigned to me, and I can use the home page upcoming task as an agenda. If my boss is assigned specific task, it only shows up on her home page. So we have to use both our asana accounts as two agenda.

We really need the home page My upcoming task to allow us to view other assignees together by due date.

In the My Task page, there is a ‘share’ button, I thought this would bring in my boss’ and my task widget together in due date order, but it does not.

Personally, I’m very satisfied with Asana NOT allowing this. My company is big enough that if “tasks may have multiple owners” were an option, then the decision to use this or not would be made by someone with not enough understanding of Getting Things Done, and I would be stuck with even more people not doing things because “they thought someone else would do them”.

I don’t think I’ve seen a single use-case in this entire thread that is not already better-handled with how Asana already works (with the exception of sub-tasks not showing up where tasks show up - ew).

So this thread should probably be thought of as an “echo chamber” of people who want this, because everyone who is glad this isn’t a thing does not normally comment here.

2 Likes

So this seemed a little obvious to me but if one wants to have two, or 7, or 100 people assigned to a task, what is stopping one from splitting the task by as many subtasks as desired assignees. Each subtask can have a different assignee.

Because you have to give it a due date for it to appear on the calendar. If it’s due at the same time as the main task then you begin to litter the calendar. Imagine if it’s a team project with 10 team members that all want to see the task on their calendar. Their individual calendars may look fine/clean, but when the project manager looks at the main project calendar it now has 10 cards on one date for the same task.

This is such a simple fix and I think this forum is evidence that the community wants this flexibility.

1 Like

Hi all, and thank you for your continued feedback. As @Marie mentioned back in May, we appreciate you sharing these use cases and the problems you’re hoping to solve, to help Asana understand the motivations behind this feature request.

Our Research and Development teams were actively exploring these pain points to understand how Asana might enable better visibility and control over resource management and capacity planning.

With that said, we have just announced the launch of a new Custom Field type → People :people_holding_hands: We believe this field will help to resolve a lot of the pain points users are experiencing in this thread.

You can check out all the details of this new People Custom Field on the post below :arrow_down:

We’re looking forward to hearing your feedback and how you will use this new custom field in the comments over on the main post!

9 Likes

Not sure this is helpful for what I need. We have video producers that will both be out on set. I need to assign them both to the “Assigned” field so they are both equally responsible for the same task and it will show on both their “to-do” lists. The new people field helps me see that someone else was involved, but it doesn’t help add things to their to do list or ensure they are both held accountable.

I’m having to duplicate tasks which is inefficient at best. Adding another column field does not help and just adds more clutter to Asana.

1 Like

I would create two subtasks and assigned each subtask to each person. This way, they are linked to the same task but each person is still responsible/accountable.

This is a big issue for us as users of Asana too.

We are a small team and there are numerous tasks each week which need two people managing them.

Having one assignee is making asana really tricky for us to use.

We’ve considered moving to Clickup or Monday which offer multiple assignees but we’d much rather stick with asana if this feature is on the roadmap?

2 Likes

Welcome to the Asana Community Team @Laura_Moore
the people custom field is not helpful?
Adding a subtask for the other person won‘t work?
We also have the situation that sometimes we have two people that need to work on something but different parts so we always split up the task into subtasks or separate tasks within a project.
Since we are using a time tracking tool also that is anyway needed in order for everybody to track time accordingly.

1 Like

No the person field doesn’t help as it still doesn’t notify someone that the due date is imminent or show others that they are working on it. Adding a subtask just adds another layer of unnecessary complexity and work. We are a small business, with 2 founders who do the vast majority of tasks together, so we need to assign both. It’s frustrating that Asana don’t let users decide if they want multiple assignees tbh.

1 Like