Assign multiple assignees on one task

I think it might be cool if they added a new type of task, like Meeting or Collab, which allows for multiple assignees (for time tracking purposes).

What I do on my team is have 1 recurring meeting task with “attend” or “present” subtasks assigned to each team member. The subtask assignees are responsible for completing their subtask but the meeting leader completes the recurring (or parent) task, which sets off the chain for the next meeting.

I don’t necessarily want to assign the same task to multiple people in the sense that they all do the same thing.
eg. ‘Clear out your folders on the simulation computer!’ Would be assigned to 40 people, but they would all be clearing their own folder! Right now for me the fastest is to create a csv file and copy it back into Asana.

Could there be eg a ‘team task’ and people could put in like if they completed? I did voting this way in the past. But instead of like we could have a response, which is ‘completed’. This way we could still follow who has done it.

I don’t see how this is in conflict with any philosophy related to Asana!

Hi Marta! You can already do a multiple assign like that.

I have several different teams in Asana so all I have to do is click the “assign duplicate tasks” button and do “All Staff” or “Managers” or whatever group of people I want to do the same task. How to Asana: Assigning copies of tasks - YouTube

Hi all, and thank you for your continued feedback.

We appreciate you sharing the use cases and problems you’re hoping to solve, to help Asana understand the motivations behind this feature request. In analyzing your feedback, we identified a few trends:

• Managers don’t know in advance who will be available to complete a task
  • Tracking/Visibility issues across a team

Our Research and Development teams are actively exploring these pain points to understand how Asana might enable better visibility and control over resource management and capacity planning. We cannot yet commit to a timeline, but we can say these needs are top of mind for many customers and we’re working on identifying the right solutions.

4 Likes

Another feature that would be extremely helpful to many (many) of us. Please please add this capability! Users would obviously still have the option NOT to assign it to multiple people, but this would allow each company to establish their own best practices based on their specific needs. Please add. :pray:t3: Thank you for continued development on vital feature requests.

2 Likes

It seems like an organization ought to have the option to opt-in to using multiple assignees if that’s what will work best for them, why limit it? If nothing else, it would be helpful to see all the tasks I’m a collaborator on in My Tasks.

1 Like

Microsoft planner even has this features. This thread is four years old… I think we are bit beyond “our R&D team is collecting feedback”. There are 586 comments. Time to take action.

3 Likes

I agree to philosophy that tasks should have one named responsible. However tasks often need many collaborators, who also need to be aware of the timetable. Here collaborators are mere viewers. This makes Asana unusable. I was surprised I am not able to create a task, ONE task, and have it added to calendar of many.
That said, I like ideals. Like here. Task has only one responsible assignee. But in real world it rarely is so and works on only few businesses.
And what comes to technical side… As a software developer I can not help wondering if the software architecture is the reason why this feature is still not done. I have seen it before. When you go down to road of building something around one “entry point”, one “identifier”, like the assignee here, it might be very cumbersome to rewrite everything.

2 Likes

Exactly what was said before. As a veteran software developer, I have a creeping suspicion that the reason why this feature has not been implemented is that it’s difficult from an architectural standpoint. Nevertheless, it still should be done because there’s a lot of demand for it. My small company might need to move away from Asana soon just because of this.

Here’s some feedback for the development team - from one developer to another: The decent thing at the very least for you to do is communicate your intentions for your customers. Don’t drag the thing on for five years - which is simply ridiculous - and now claim to do “planning/research” on it. Instead, grow a pair and state that this is something we can not or will not do. And direct the audience that is looking for such a feature to your competitors that have it.

THAT would be good customer service. What you are doing here is complete opposite of that.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if it was mentioned before but for me it’s super clear, allowing to add users to "team"s and allow to assign tasks to a team or user.

1 Like

Thanks @Shneor1, I’ve recently conducted an audit of all replies on this thread to better understand what pain points users are trying to solve with the multiple assignee feature request and "allowing to add users to “team"s and allow to assign tasks to a team or user” is on my list :wink:

1 Like

I’ve seen other people post about this but no feedback for voting - I agree with having an ‘owner’ field that has only one assignee, but we need to be able to track other roles that people are playing on each workstream - for example, we have a PM, a system designer, and a data analyst on each workstream - i should be able to add as many custom fields as I’d like with the person type not just open text with their name.

1 Like

Hi @Meaghan_Maher,

This is something we’re exploring, I’ll keep you posted here when I have an update :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just here to add another voice, for whatever it’s worth, that adding multiple assignees to a task would be greatly valued. Would be interested to know if this is not technically feasible from your end, as it seems like such an easy win. If not a coding issue, surely it’s best to give your users the chance to decide for ourselves how we want to customise our workstream?

3 Likes

I am in Learning and Development, and the lack of this feature is a huge roadblock for our team. This is an incredibly limiting feature. I often need everyone to review a document, or attend a meeting, and have this task appear on their calendar, timeline, and to-do list. I would like to assign training to multiple people at once, and I currently use subtasks or add people as collaborators to comment and receive task updates, but this is not an appropriate work-around because subtasks don’t show up on calendars or timelines. Adding individual tasks for all 60+ members of our org seriously clutters up projects. There are so many reasons that this feature is needed, and these limitations are seriously impacting the appropriateness and functionality of Asana. PLEASE update this feature!

2 Likes

yeah, I will be advising against using Asana further in our organisation for this very reason. Really disappointing to see a thread started 5 years ago expressing a clear user-need get so little attention. Does not give me confidence in Asana at all.

2 Likes

This would be fantastic. Within my team I have multiple people that are over certain sites or projects due to the scope of what we support. And that means that they have co ownership over certain tasks. And being able to set up a team and then assign a task to that team would be amazing. I think that would be a way to still ahve the designated owners, but still allow us to have multiple people assigned to it.

Thank you for everything you guys do monitoring the feedback we provide and allowing that feedback to help guide what is potentially developed.

2 Likes

We just signed up for Asana, and this feature is something that would be vital to our small architecture/design biz. I am project managing, but our owners are also the two primary architects and need to be able to see all projects on their calendars for a 30k foot view of what we’re working on. Is this something that would be added soon? It might affect our decision to continue using Asana, which is a bummer because otherwise we really love it!

Our biggest pain point is that our owners need to be able to see all our projects on their master calendar.

Sorry hit send too soon - we are a small architecture firm and our owners need to see all upcoming projects so they can decide what/when we can feasibly commit to new projects and start dates. They also need to be able to see at a glance everyone’s work load so everyone’s responsibilities are balanced.