Asana Workspaces

Hi all,
Can my organization (100 people from the same company domain) use Asana free version by creating different workspaces (of less than 15 users each)?
I understand it’s better to create an organization but I am asking because I really love the platform (and I mainly use its basic free features such assigning tasks, setting due dates etc…). However, I cannot afford (at least at this point) to pay premium accounts for 100 people.

Hi @OmarZid,

While as you might imagine that’s a bit of an odd usage, I can’t see why you couldn’t do that technically. Just make sure you create them as Workspaces, not Organizations.

Also realize that you won’t really be able to share users (or anything) between workspaces - each workspace will be its own silo - because if Workspace A has 15 users and and you add a user from Workspace B as a project member or assignee or collaborator on a task in Workspace A, you’ll go over your free-user-limit in Workspace A. (There’s no concept of Guests in a Workspace model.)

1 Like

Couldn’t @OmarZid create an Organization but just insure that no Team has more than 15 members and remain on the Basic plan with greater interoperability than separate Workspaces, @Phil_Seeman?

Thanks,

Larry

2 Likes

Hi @Phil
Thanks so much for your insightful and quick reply, very helpful indeed.

1. Just for my understanding, why couldn’t we have the same user in different organizations
    Let’s imagine someone uses Asana through his private email (for private use) to organize his own private work, why wouldn’t he be able to collaborate with different people in different organizations?

2. Do you think there are any workarounds around that issue? For example, can we have a few paid accounts (5 or 6 for example) for people that we want to have in different organizations? While having the other members free…

I didn’t think you could have multiple teams in a free Organization each with up to 15 members, but maybe I’m wrong about that. @lpb do you know for sure that’s allowed/supported? (I thought the total across the whole Org - all teams - would have to be 15 or less.)

2 Likes

Hi @Phil_Seeman
Thanks so much for your insightful and quick reply, very helpful indeed.

Just for my understanding, why couldn’t we have the same user in different organizations
Let’s imagine someone uses Asana through his private email (for private use) to organize his own private work, why wouldn’t he be able to collaborate with different people in different organizations?

Do you think there are any workarounds around that issue? For example, can we have a few paid accounts (5 or 6 for example) for people that we want to have in different organizations? While having the other members free…
1 Like

@Community_Managers, Can you answer this conclusively? Also, can you point to anything in website plans/pricing info or Asana Guide that answers this? The info there now is so sparse that my search for ten minutes when I made my original reply above turned up empty; I couldn’t answer the question with the info provided.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi @lpb, the Asana pricing page states that you can collaborate with up to 15 teammates on the free version. This cap is not per Org but per Team.

3 Likes

@OmarZid,

So it sounds like @lpb was right - you could have one organization with different teams, where each team had no more than 15 users. I would suggest trying that approach and see if it works for you.

1 Like

Thanks, @Rebecca_McGrath, for confirming, and sorry I missed that reference somehow.

@OmarZid, re your earlier questions, in an organization you must pay for those using the org’s domain in their email logins (“Members”) but all other email addresses are considered free “Guests” with somewhat limited privileges. And yes, an individual can be a member of multiple workspaces and orgs (if needed; that’s not recommended in your case) and easily open separate windows to those “silos” (as Phil mentions). And an individual can associate multiple email addresses into one Asana account if they use multiple email addresses in Asana.

Larry

2 Likes

Thanks so much @lpb , @Community_Managers,
However, this is Not what I had understood from Asana Sales (through my recent email correspondences with them), see attached screenshot.
Bottom-line in my understanding: No more than 15 accounts In Total (Not per project) for any organization using Free Version of Asana.

Getting back to my main question, which is trying to find a workaround to continue using Asana. Can someone help or suggest someone I could talk to for advice?
We are only interested in Asana’s Free features at this point (assigning tasks and deadlines) and cannot afford to pay premium for 100 accounts for that.
A workaround I thought about was creating multiple workspaces, and only 1 workspace with managers (having premium accounts). These managers will be in the same workspace (called Managers workspace for example) and then will also be in other workspaces with the free accounts.
What do you think? Really any suggestions or help would be Tremendously appreciated!!

@OmarZid,

You’ve written that the limit is “per project” but we conveyed that the limit is “per team.”

I suspect the info from Sales is incorrect. You can give it a try yourself to see.

My (and Phil’s) recommended answers were already given above.

Larry

1 Like

I believe @lpb’s is the best one to cater to this need. The limit, as stated, being only 15 users per team which might be a barrier for your use cases.

If your org has a secondary email domain that can host guests, that might be a potential workaround yet would require some user management and likely introduce some confusion.

At the end of the day, once you extend beyond 15 users per team… you gotta pay to play! :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Thanks so much, @lpb and @LEGGO
OK so I understand as per @lpb’s message that the info I got from Sales may have been Incorrect and I am very much willing to test if I could have different Projects, each of no more than 15 users (which you say Should work indeed) and which would be perfect for our organization.
For me to try that, I would need to go Off my premium trial version, which opened automatically upon creating an Asana account. I am not able to do so.
I still have 13 days left in my premium trial but I would like to move to the free version today if possible.
Thanks so much,
Omar

1 Like

@OmarZid,

Did you try following this?

Larry

Not different projects, each of no more than 15 users - you want to try different teams, each of no more than 15 users! That’s a critical difference.

1 Like

You could setup a Gmail Domain for your Asana Account and then assign those Gmail accounts to whoever you want to have Paid Seats on your Asana account. Then you could invite the rest of your company into Asana as Guests accounts.

This is currently what we do with our company. We have our upper managers and ownership on our account as users and the rest are guests and it works just fine.

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.