Asana isn't automatically moving tasks from the "Upcoming" section to the "Today" (even though the appropriate rule is set)

Asana isn’t automatically moving tasks from the “Upcoming” section to the “Today”
section as it’s programmed to do (even though the appropriate rule is set). Usually it works fine, but usually about once every two or three weeks it fails to do this automatic move. Only thing I’m noticing is that it says the rule was “last run 2 days ago” and I can’t figure out why it’s not running today.

Hi @Mei_Elliott, welcome to the Asana Community forum :wave:t2: Thanks for flagging this :slight_smile:

Could you please provide me with some screenshots of your Rule set up so I can take a look at this for you? :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for the quick reply! Here is a screen shot:

image.png

Oddly, the rule worked perfectly today. It’s happened multiple times over the last several months that the rule won’t work for 1-2 days, and then will resume function. This happens even though I don’t do anything to alter the rule.
When it stops working, I’ve tried refreshing the page, signing out of Asana and signing back in, rebooting my computer, and none work to move tasks due “today” to the “today” section (they just remain in “upcoming”). When it doesn’t work I open my “upcoming” folder and sort through to manually pull out tasks due “today.” Then usually within a few days it magically starts working normally again.
Let me know if you have any ideas on this.

P.S. I love Asana and probably couldn’t do my job without it. :wink:

Thanks for getting back to us and sharing the screenshot, @Mei_Elliott! Please note the “Due date is approaching” trigger fires based on the moment a task becomes due “Today”, not the mere fact that a task is due.

We understand some customers may expect that if they change a task’s due date to “today”, their “Due Today” trigger will fire immediately. But the moment when the task became “Due Today” (midnight) has already passed! So in this case the trigger would not fire. For the same reason, if you change a task’s due time to 5 minutes ago, your “0 minutes before” trigger would not immediately fire.

Another thing that can be affecting the rule is “Recurring tasks”, are the tasks that don’t move to Today set to repeat?

Looking forward to your reply! and thanks for your kind note about Asana :heart_decoration: :slight_smile:

1 Like