ASANA Boards and colour coding

@paulminors @JCarl Thx a lot for your help !!! Deleting is one way; moving to a “complete” column the other (and maybe my prefered). I think the topic is easy to solve for the ASANA development team :slight_smile: Thx in advance !

Back to the colour coding thing, Once a task is housed in couple of projects, and it is moved as a subtask to one of them, the colour coding of that project disappears. I really think that the colours should remain visible whether as tasks or subtasks. Any thoughts, or am I the only one who enjoys a colourful ASANA board? :smile:

2 Likes

@RashadIssa

I think there shouldn’t be much of a difference between a task and a subtask, that a subtask is still just a task. Like there should be a way to view a task, similar to how we view a project, where the task is displayed in the center pane, and selecting a subtask will display the task details in the right pane.

We have deep hierarchy of tasks and subtasks, and sometimes we convert a task into a project just for that view purpose, which then makes the sidebar flooded with so many projects.

Actually, going back to your issue, I think it’s not only in Asana board the behavior happens. I created a search view to get all incomplete tasks coming from 4 different projects filtering all subtasks. The task under project A, which is a subtask of a task in project B was filtered out.

HI Guys,

I have the same issue but i like to use the calendar view. my issue is i colour code a project such as managers meeting, i would like my sub tasks to be the same colour, please see below where my main project “test” is in green but the sub task is not, any idea if this can be resolved.

1 Like

This has to do with the overlying issue of subtasks not being associated with a project by default. So in order to have that color (I believe) you would have to add that subtask to the project manually by hitting Tab+P and typing in the project name.

Thanks for the quick Reply Caisha,

Unfortunately that does not appear to work.

I assume you have found the solution in the meantime. Still - here it is (I discovered it just recently) and it is so simple. Maybe this feature is new to Asana.

I did an example -

It works the same on board view as well, just tried it - can you double check that’s what you’re doing?

2 Likes

Hi Caisha,

That looks great and is what i am looking for however does not work when i try, i have even deleted the projects and put them back on but still nothing for the subtasks.

Not sure where i am going wrong.

Hi @Allen_Starkey - to confirm, have you used the shortcut Tab+P to add all tasks to the parent project as Caisha suggests?

Hi Alexis, thanks for your reply.

When i press Tab+p it only adds the box for project type i.e, high priority as pictured above, it does not allow me to add a subtask using this function, I assume the p stands for project.

I have tried TAB + S for subtask, this creates a subtask from the keyboard but does not colour the task as required on my calendar view.

Not sure why it works for you guys but not for myself.

Hi @Allen_Starkey - I think I understand the point of confusion. You’ll need to add each subtask to the project. So, click into each subtask. When you’re viewing the subtask, use Tab+P to add the subtask to the project. When you do this, the subtask will appear in the main project view.

1 Like

So, I am new to Asana and so far I am enjoying it. My question regarding color coding tabs/tags is: Is there a way to retroactively assign a color to a tag? It seems that when a couple of tags were created they were not assigned a color (which is a great visual clue/key to my project). I have looked and looked. Please, advise.

Yup! Just click inside a task and click on the tag itself. Then you’ll be taken to the individual tag’s page. You’ll see a header (as you would in a project) with the tag title. Click the drop down arrow next to the header and then select highlight color and select whichever color you’d like :slight_smile:

Hi there - new user to Asana! Is there a way to color code the columns inside of a project?

1 Like

Hi Samantha, welcome to Asana!
There is no way to colour the columns inside a project unfortunately, but if your tasks are houses in several projects and each project has a colour, then the colour will appear on each task.

@Samantha_Alfaro I agree! It would be great to be able to assign the column in a board a color. Especially for then viewing within “timeline” you could see which tasks are in each stage of a process. Which is what we’re currently utilizing the boards function to visually display.

3 Likes

Is there a way to automatically assign a colour code to all tasks in each column of a board without individually tagging them? It would be great it they were all grouped into coloured swimlanes on the timeline view as well - but I can’t quite discern the logic behind how tasks are ordered vertically in the timeline view - it looks like it is by the date of creation, whereas ideally it would be by column.
Thanks

We use tags, and the colors help. BUT, 1) we are running out of colors and 2) I’d love to be able to change the background color of the actual task in a board. Just another visual cue for type or status of a task.

5 Likes