Asana as a Learning Management System (training tracker)?

I’m looking to create a tool to track our company training curriculum…assign courses, track who’s completed which course, etc. Thinking Asana could be used but not sure how to set it up efficiently. Would love to hear from anyone who’s attempted this and/or is successfully running a learning management system through Asana.

Hi Gail,

This is great idea, I love it. Have you watched any of the Asana Academy videos. I think you will get some ideas on how you can structure courses based on the training module that Asana uses in the Academy.

Additionally, we use this for 1:1 meetings in our office in which we have a component of professional development. I’ve built out my private 1:1 area that only my supervisor and I can see with meeting agenda items, meeting notes, my current job description, past performance evaluations, current professional development goals, and professional development completions. Each of those are section headers and both I and my supervisor have contributed to the lists and helped to determine things like priority level or timelines.

I imagine that you can set up a variety of different projects and spaces for a company wide initiative. I think Asana would be fantastic for this purpose.

I hope that helps,
Katie

1 Like

Hi
In my company we have sat up a onboarding template when new employees join.
Each time, the HR team creates a project from the template and name it with the new employee name. They assign the tasks to this employee, IT, HR or the manager. It contains documents to fill in, training,…in brief all what’s needed to make their integration perfect.
Doing so, HR can follow the progress of the process, and check everything is done :+1:

As @Katie_Reynolds says, Asana have a guide for this king is stuff, for instance the following page:

And maybe @Bastien_Siebman also have some other Templana templates :thinking:
https://templana.com

Hope that will help you.

4 Likes

Indeed if you look for “onboarding” on Templana.com =)

Thanks, I already use a template for onboarding, but what I need is something that can be used for training ALL employees, not just new folks. Something that assigns new training modules to specific people/roles, and track when the training has been completed. Since I can only assign a task to one person, I would need to create a new training module ‘task’ for each person every time we add a training session–which could be 50 people or more. I’m trying to avoid that, or at least make it as efficient as possible.

1 Like

Hi Gail,

Remember you can assign tasks to whole teams and it will copy the task to each of those team members. That’s a good shortcut that you can use. Ways to save time in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide.

I would set up a project for each module that you want employees to work through. Use custom fields and advance reports to monitor progress of employees as they complete the training modules.

I hope this helps,
Katie

This would help streamline setup, thanks! And it might be worth setting up specific ‘roles’ as ‘teams,’ since different roles will have different training modules assigned to them.

1 Like

We are a small training provider and have been trialling using asana as our learning management system. Our programs run using face to face modules and project team work. As we already used ASANA for our organisation I thought I would test it out as an LMS. I love ASANA but I think it is missing an opportunity to jump on the LMS opportunity

We use it to
. Provide the module program details, instructions and resources (thru links and attachments)
. Provide a platform for each project group to use if they want to manage their project communications and planning
. Provide a way of communicating with our program participants (and for them to communicate with each other)
So far we have encountered some issues that mean I am rethinking whether we shouldn’t use one of the other LMS providers.

The issues we have found so far are (and please let me know of any solutions)
. people find ASANA confusing at first - and the people most likely to be confused are also most likely not to use google or watch the ASANA videos which are very good
. the usual ones of not being able to use bold or other formatting in tasks and sub tasks
. not being able to see the hierarchy of subtasks in the task (you can only see the first level of subtasks) - I have to put CLICK ON SPEECH BUBBLE (in caps because no bold) to let them know there are more sub-tasks attached to that sub-task. A hover menu or option to display the hierarchy would be helpful
. not being able to attach attachments to a sub task (ie to attach to a specific subtask I need to do the point above - attach inside the sub task and find away of telling people there is something inside that subtask
. not being able to have more than 15 guests/collaborators per project/task - we have 20 on a program so I have to separate the group into 2 projects which means they can only interact via asana with their own subset
. and its a bit clunky and old fashioned looking - eg hover menus and other more modern approaches would help with the user experience

Depending on which LMS you use, you could connect its API to create tasks in Asana based on events in the LMS, like course start, course completion, etc.
LMSs like Learn Dash, etc are on Zapier and this cold be automated on a project by project basis. That should be easy enough to do.

Not sure that would be sustainable if you had a company with 100 learners, or something like that, unless there was also someone whose job it was to make sure that was all hooked.

Other than that, it will take some custom programming to match your users in Asana to LMS users, watch for events, and push that back to Asana.

Another way, though would take some thought on which courses or actions require a next template task, would be to create an asana form for course completions.
That form could be included as a button or a link at the last step of each class/course in your LMS.
The form can be filled, as a survey of sorts, by the student and the form would create the next task in that user’s Asana learning project.
It’s not perfect, as the user could probably just skip it, but if you call it out well enough they should do it.

1 Like

@Gail_Covert did you ever find a solution or template? If so would you mind sharing? I’m looking for something exactly like this!

Thank you.

Unfortunately I did not find a solution that would be turn-key enough. We are still using our internal system, which basically consists of a spreadsheet with links. It gets the job done (however inelegantly). If I had more time to invest I might try to build something in Asana; but what I really need is a clear example or template. Good luck to you!

I am not sure why you can’t replace a spreadsheet with links with Asana. If a custom field of type text contains a link, it is clickable. What’s stopping you exactly?

For sure, I could replace the spreadsheet with Asana. But that doesn’t really give me much enhancement for the user. For example, I want a brand-new employee to be able to jump in and understand how to tackle assignments, without needing training on how to use Asana. I want it to be clear, easy to use and turn-key. See Melanie Fisher’s comments above for more feedback on the barriers to using Asana as an LMS.

I know that with some time and effort I could use Asana to design an LMS program that would work for us better than a spreadsheet, but I was hoping to leap past that with some advice, ideas, and /or templates that others have used. Without a lot of time to invest in this, I need a head start :slight_smile:

On a parallel path, we are looking to add an HRIS and one of our requirements is that it have an LMS module. That would solve our problem, ultimately!

I am not sure I understand, your initial request was about how to use Asana, and now you are using you don’t want to because people would have to train to use it.

Hi @Gail_Covert,

We are an ISO certified company and I was wondering how Asana could be setup to provide features of a LMS and found your post.

Have you made any progress with Asana in this regard?