Asana and Outlook calendar creates busy all day events

Hello… I have used the Asana / Outlook connector to get tasks showing in my calendar. However we run approx. 20-30 projects at any one time in Asana, and don’t want a seperate / new calendar for each. Is it possible to have Asana tasks connect and show up in my normal outlook calendar? I don’t want a separate calendar for each Asana project, I want all of my asana tasks to show up in my default outlook calendar…

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum @Nathan_Syme and sorry for the late reply here!

You should be able to add all the Projects to your Outlook Calendar following these steps: Sync Asana + Google Calendar, Outlook, Apple | Product guide • Asana Product Guide.
You will have to repeat the process with each one of the Projects you want to Sync.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any follow-up question!

That’s not really going to work for us, means we will have 20-30 additional calendars. Is it possible to have them merge in to the one default outlook calendar? Or maybe even have the Asana tasks show up as Outlook tasks? Like the image attached would be brilliant!

Hi @Nathan_Syme :wave:

Sorry for the confusion here. You will actually have them merged in your default outlook calendar ( you won’t have separate calendars). But you will have to merge them manually project by project.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up question!

How do I merge them in to my default calendar, or can I merge the “my tasks” in to my default calendar?

Hi @Nathan_Syme

Yes, you can sync your “My Task” with Outlook Calendar following these steps:

In Asana:

1. Go to you My Task
  2. Click the dorpdown arrow on the header to acces to the My Task actions
  3. Select the option Sync to Calendar
  4. Highlight and copy (but do not click) the entire link found in the iCAL, Outlook, or Other Calendar tab.

In Outlook Calendar:

1. Click on Add Calendar
  2. Select the option From Internet
  3. Paste the link you previously copied from Asana

In the next popup

1. Paste the link you previously copied from Asana into the Link to the calendar field
  2. Enter a name for your Calendar
  3. Click Save

You can read more in the following guide article: Sync Asana + Google Calendar, Outlook, Apple | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

I hope this helps! Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

1 Like

I have managed to merge the asana ‘my tasks’ calendar with my outlook calender per below. But it does not show up at the correct time, the task highlighted
has a due time of 4pm yet it is showing up as an all day event…

2 Likes

Hi @Nathan_Syme :wave:

Glad to hear you were able to sync you “My Task” with your Outlook Calendar :grinning:

What you are saying is correct. As our Guide article explains, Tasks with due dates will be shown as all day events on your outlook calendar. I hope this helps Nathan!

Please, let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Natalia. I follow this process and I dont get to the stage to enter a name for my calender? Question am I copying the whole link or just unhazed part of link like shown in the help guide?

1 Like

I use my Asana task list to build my weekly schedule, and since my team is required to use MS for work, I’ve started exporting my task list with due dates to Outlook.

I’ve seen a few other people on here mention that imported tasks preserve due date but not time of day, which would be helpful info to have when tasks represent deadlines. I second that feedback & would add that it would also be helpful if tasks exported to (non-google) calendar apps did not auto-default to “all-day” events that mark the user as “busy” to colleagues.

I can imagine a lot of users have different preferences on how to export tasks, so some kind of Asana-side setting would be amazing. Even just being able to change the default settings to either not “busy” or not “full-day” would be a huge help.

From the outlook ICS file:
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-BUSYSTATUS:BUSY

X-MICROSOFT-CDO-ALLDAYEVENT:TRUE

Absolutely agree with you, @anon13252295! I really need for the exported Asana tasks in my Outlook to show as “Free” instead of “Busy”. It’s falsely making people think I’m unavailable to book a meeting with me every day :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Now that I have integrated my Asana tasks in my Outlook calendar, there are new events listed in my calendar. All these events show as “Busy”. I’d like to change it to “Free” so that it doesn’t look like I’m constantly busy, never free for a meeting when my colleagues are scheduling one. How would I do that (not manually and individually)? :grin:

3 Likes

Hi @anon97473515, thanks for reaching out! The Asana and Outlook integration pulls data from the Task such as due date, due time etc and will set an all day event but does not manually mark it as busy. I recommend you checking if there are any settings active in your Outlook Calendar that would set you to busy for each event.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

1 Like

Hi all! Great to see this thread. I wanted to know how we could make this integration work the other way around? I have a team that submit PTO through a calendar in Outlook, and could like to pull those into Asana. How could we do this or come up with a cleaver solution for it? Hopefully it’s easier than I think it may be? Thanks in advance!

11 Likes

I am also having this same issue. Which setting should I check? My whole calendar is now blocked by all of my tasks that I synced to Outlook!

2 Likes

This is also happing with Google Calendar. It’s not a good look. Can someone give us an answer that actually helps? There’s no setting in GCal - we’ve looked through all our settings, no other import blocks the whole day off like Asana. That’s a huge bummer. Can someone actually help?

3 Likes

Our company is trying to find how to merge Outlook to Asana, I am seeing how to merge Asana to Outlook, but now the other way. Also When I import a task from Asana to my outlook the task shows up but not the overall project the task is linked to, it makes it confusing as to what the task is meaning without the full task when doing a quick look at my Outlook Calendar.

Please help.

5 Likes

@Natalia any advice on this one?

1 Like

I have created a separate project that defaults to calendar view. Inside this project I create sections for active projects. I add all tasks to this project and filter to the appropriate sections. This has been the easiest way to manage the sync and to utilize the calendar view. I almost went with My Tasks, but as a PM I wanted the view to include tasks assigned to others as well.

Guess not - haha