Archive a Section in a Project

Fixing a bug is not disruptive. Being able to archive sections again would fix the current bug that prevents archiving sections. There would be no functionality lost; only returned. Therefore, it would be safe to do it; definitely safer than when they broke archiving sections in the first place.

2 Likes

Can we get an update on when this will be fixed? We also use sections for weekly sprints or sub projects and not having the ability to archive a section is highly annoying.

6 Likes

I would also like the ability to do this. We divide our scrums into sections, and would love to archive the entire section so we have somewhere else to reference it.

2 Likes

There is no way to archive a section under a project together with all its subtasks this is so needed for our business

4 Likes

Is there any update on this? We manage a number of web series with our weekly/monthly episodes organised into sections, so being able to archive or mark these sections as complete once episodes are published would be hugely beneficial.

1 Like

As a paying user, +1ing.

This basically makes the Boards view useless, unless you rename completed Sections to ZZZ and move to the right. If all tasks within a section are complete: then it should be hidden in board + list view. Otherwise, archiving as requested in this thread would be an appropriate fix, with the section un-archiving if a new incomplete task is applied to it.

As it is now: very cluttered and makes project management harder.

2 Likes

I hate having all my Sections with no tasks hanging out on my projects! Is there a solution in the works?

4 Likes

Is there an ETA on when this going to be fixed? Also donā€™t like that my completed sections are just hanging out with not tasks :unamused:

5 Likes

Asana never gives ETA, sorry :man_shrugging:

Hey everyone, after spending so much time reading everyoneā€™s issues with Sections, I wanted to share what I plan to do (new user so I donā€™t have as much history). I plan to simply avoid sections altogether and use "tasksā€™ as section dividers to organize projects. Especially with chronological related sections that become irrelevant after the time cadence (week, month, year), I donā€™t wan tto have the same issue that others are having in having unused sections within a project. Itā€™s not perfect, but I thought Iā€™d share.

3 Likes

I would love to be able to archive a section within a project. We find that in the course of our projects, and the way we organize them, it would be extremely helpful if this functionality could be implemented.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum @Jennifer11 and thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us!

This is a popular request and there is an existing thread requesting this functionality so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with for consolidation purposes. Please donā€™t forget to cast your vote by clicking in the vote button next to the title. :slight_smile:

Have a great week Jennifer!

Dear team,

As many have before, this seems to be an important function that is not available. Since it impacts completely the way you set up your projects, I would request to move this ahead in the priority list (or the user stories if you are using agile project management).

2 options from my view/experience:

• Either push this higher in the priority and apply the fix (relatively easy from an outsider view, might be missing some of the impacted functionalities)
  • Or train the users how to set up projects properly without using sections (using tasks instead as sections) ā†’ this would only be a temporary fix for new projects, and removes the value of having sections.

So my recommendation would be to go for option 1, and upgrade the section to enable it to be archived, and potentially also to have a due date to it (but can be solved by the user by adding a milestone task in the section)

Looking forward to a reply and fix, which would make many lives easier :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello all! The recently added sections are great and a feature I find myself using often. As an educator and freelancer, itā€™s been helpful in organizing groups of tasks and clients.

Currently, users can either rename or delete sections. Itā€™d be great to also have the option of archiving a section. For example, if a user has a short project (say 3 weeks, 3 months, etc.) instead of deleting it and losing all those tasks within the section, they can archive it and come back to it later.

This could help users and teams who need to return to the project at a later date, but would like to have a more streamlined workspace. Would love feedback from others. Would this feature be useful to you as well?

1 Like

Absolutely, there is already a huge thread on this. Try searching for it, or mods @Natalia can move this there.

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us @anon21625830, and welcome to our Community!

As weā€™ve already a thread on this topic, I have merged your post with the main thread. I donā€™t have an update on this topic just yet, but will make sure to post an update as soon as I do!

Hi all,
I have also been struggling with the inability to hide or archive sections. However, since the introduction of being able to expand and collapse a task to show its sub-tasks in the task list, one workaround might be to use a task instead of the section name and move the tasks associated with that section as subtasks of the new ā€œSection taskā€. This approach has the following benefits:

1. It mains the hierarchical view in the lefthand task pane with the ability to collapse and expand the ā€œSection taskā€ to show its subtasks;
  2. Since the section name is actually a task, it can be closed and therefore filtered out.

The main disadvantage is that tasks, by default, are displayed with their list of subtasks collapsed so it is necessary to manually toggle the task arrow (section name) to display the tasks (subtasks) associated with it.

This is isnā€™t going to help anyone that is dependent on sections and tasks in boards view or as part of a workflow, but does work for simply grouping tasks under a heading (section) with the ability to hide (close) the section name.

3 Likes

And all I want to do is hide/archive project sections :laughing:

16 Likes

We use sections to manage sprints in some projects. Many of these projects have more than 15 sections waiting to be archived some day. Archiving sections would be a really interesting feature.

2 Likes

I already think it is bad for Asana to delete tasks from a section when you are deleting. But what is more bizarre is that if you have a task in 2 projects and delete the section, Asana deletes the task in all projects. This should not happen in my understanding.

4 Likes