Allow user to attach google doc to a Form via the attachments field

Right now, people can attach documents/files via upload to a form, and I can have a field where people can copy & paste the URL to a Google doc, but asking some of my audience to copy & paste the URL is going to cause confusion. Is there a way for people to attach a google doc via the attachment field in a form?

1 Like

Hello @Aaron_Tinklenberg and welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

So you think some people won‘t know how to share google sheets? Personally I think this should not be a problem. I mean the other option I can think of is downloading the sheet and uploading it to the form which obviously is not ideal at all

I know for sure some of them won’t know how to do it. It definitely shouldn’t be a problem, but there is a wonderful diversity of comfort levels when it comes to using technology in my organization. Basically, I just want it to be a one-stop shop for attaching files to a form. Click one button and attach a file from your computer or Google Drive or wherever.

2 Likes

Hm yeah I get your point.
Maybe adding a short tutorial on how to share the link as a description in the field would work for now?

You can use http://scribehow.com to easily create a step by step tutorial :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is an issue for my team. It took a bit to troubleshoot why people were receiving errors when they submitted forms - turns out they were attaching from drive, rather than including a link to drive.

1 Like

I see with the Google Drive integration we can add a file from the drive into the task quite simply. Is the no way to incorporate that using the Asana Form? This way person submitting can attach the form this way. Currently asking them to share the link into a field we created as I see that is the work around for many people. But like many we are getting request to simply the attaching of files from Google drive to an asana form.

1 Like

I agree with this, and have faced the same problem using forms and training new users.
Attaching items to a form should be consistent with attaching items to a task. It seems shortsighted to have a different process.

I’m facing a similar challenge while working on automating the form I’ve designed. It’s crucial that users attach a document when they submit the form to provide my shared service team with essential details. My objective is to automate the process of sending a ‘reminder’ to those who forget to attach the necessary document during submission.

While creating a trigger based on attachments would be straightforward, it’s not feasible for my company since we use Google Suite, and integrating with Google Drive for attachments at the form level isn’t an option. I’m contemplating using a single-line text field where users can paste a link to the Google Doc. Is it possible to create a trigger that checks if this field is left blank and, if so, automatically sends out the reminder?