Allow to automatically add subtasks to project

Thanks for the feedback. Is this a decision that could possibly be reviewed? A task is a child of project, and therefore it’s subtasks also fall under that project, as would their subtasks (and all the way down). When I call up a list of tasks/subtasks that are tagged with a particular tag, it would be nice to see them grouped under their projects for the additional context.

So yes, not a bug, but perhaps a feature request?

5 Likes

I think this request exists, I’ll let @Edda @Cathya move your post!

1 Like

Thank you kindly

Hi folks :wave:t3:Merging this thread with Allow to automatically add subtasks to project; let me know if there is anything else I can help with!

1 Like

If I’m looking at My Tasks in Asana, and I sort by Project:

All of my subtasks from every Project show with, No Project.

I would ideally like them to have both the Project label of the associated task, AND the name of the task as two labels.

Having no label at all though makes the view unusable.

Is this something that will be added?

7 Likes

Hi @David_Gerrard and welcome to the Community Forum! We already have a thread on this topic; I would suggest you to have a look at this post in particular and to add your vote to this main thread by hitting the “Vote” button at the top of the thread.

I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to consolidate feedback, hope that’s ok!

Have a great Thursday! :slight_smile:

Good morning!

I was noticing that on the My Tasks list, subtasks get listed under “No Project” even when they are inside a project.

1. Create a task inside a project.
  2. Create a subtask to that task.
  3. Go to My Tasks and you’ll see the subtask at the bottom under No Project (with the project they’re in listed in small gray text).
  4. This is true even when sorting by project, which makes it challenging to view everything together.

Not sure if this is a bug, but it would be great if they appeared under their proper project. Bonus points if they could be indented under their parent task!

Thanks!

5 Likes

I recommend that Subtasks be associated with the Project of the Parent task. If I view My Tasks by Project, all of my Subtasks are listed as associated with No Project. This makes it difficult for me to manage all of the tasks for a particular project assigned to me.

5 Likes

@Amanda_Thode This has been a long time request as mentioned other times throughout the forum. Hopefully there is a resolution someday as it also effects the CSV export functionality.

2 Likes

@Amanda_Thode One thing to note is that if you’re using Advanced Search, subtasks will display with their parent task’s project (see this forum thread for more info). Unfortunately this is not currently the case when using the My Tasks view but you can see that Asana is making changes in terms of subtasks…

Can you please make it possible that subtasks of a tasks in a project are also part of that project and thus get the same color as the main task? This would make things visually much clearer in the calendar.
Thanks.

11 Likes

Thanks for your feedback @Sofie_Couwenbergh, really appreciate it. We already have a thread on this topic, so I have merged your post; make sure to vote on this main thread since votes don’t carry over when threads are merged; thanks!

1 Like

The fact that this was first asked for over a year and a half ago and still isn’t implemented, doesn’t give me much hope.

3 Likes

Subtasks also assigned to any and all projects…
I don’t see why this is an issue.

I’d vote for the first option - any and all projects that their parent is assigned to.

My team is also frustrated by this behavior.

1 Like

This appears to be closely related to Ideas/Feedback to display subtasks – which has 240 votes (in the top 5 for votes). I’d recommend anyone who is interested in seeing this request taken up that they also upvote the related request.

2 Likes

For anyone interested in a third party solution for this, we have one available. See below:

http://office.reddiapps.com/processes/asana/taskinheritance.aspx

I have read a lot of threads regarding subtasks, but I haven’t seen any that are recent. I just wanted to see if any work was being done to make subtasks inherit the Project of the overall task? I know I have seen mention of this being worked on behind the scenes and I wanted to see if there was any status update?

That alone is keeping my entire company from switching over to use Asana as a complete Project Management tool and as soon (or if) that issue is resolved, we are ready to transition everything over to Asana.

3 Likes

Hi @Kyle_Carney and thanks for sparking this discussion again!

This is a very popular request in the Forum and generally speaking among our users; we’re fully aware this is something we need to improve and while I don’t have an update to share at the moment, this is definitely on our radar.

I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main existing thread on this topic to gather votes and comments, and generally speaking consolidate feedback on this topic. My apologies for not being able to share update at this time, I’ll make sure to post an update as soon as I can!

2 Likes