Allow Rules for Subtasks

Any update on if this feature will be developed? It would be extremely useful for our team and I don’t really understand why this would not already be developed. One of the things we love most about Asana is the ability to create automation via rules however this is presenting a very limiting experience at the moment.

3 Likes

Waiting for this feature.

2 Likes

Following up on this. Does anyone know if this feature is accessible at all? Completion of subtasks when status is changed?

It would be great to have subtasks trigger an action. For example, I have a project acting as a CRM with several subtasks for Initial Contact etc… I would like to have a rule where if I complete the subtask Initial Contact, it moves the task into my In Conversation column. Then when I click the subtask Transition To Strategy Call, it moves the task into Call Confirmed column. Lastly, I have a random number of Follow Up # fields where I click them to track how many times I have followed up with the prospect. At a given number of follow ups I want to move the task into a Dead Trail column.

This way I can categorize the conversation based on what is happening on a more granular level. This would really enhance Asana as a CRM.

I’ve just found the Approvals subtask type which would have been a great way to solve this problem, however it isn’t available as a trigger.

This is the most obvious solution, being able to have a rule where an Approval subtask can trigger an action e.g. move the task into a different column

This is indeed not the way Asana works at the moment, you should join this discussion Rules triggers and action for subtasks within the same workflow

Hi @CreativeNorthMedia,

There is actually an existing Product Feedback topic for this request; I’m merging yours with that one; be sure to add your vote.

(Also note that our Flowsana integration does support subtasks in both triggers and actions in its rules. :slight_smile: )

1 Like

@Phil_Seeman Exactly How does Flowsana do that? I have it and I cannot find that info or set up. Yes there are instructions on how to auto add subtasks or add due dates, etc. However there is nothing on how to apply a rule to a subtask.

I need to be able to have the task move to another section once all subtasks are complete. Is this possible with ANY app/plugin?

When you create a rule (or any workflow) in the Flowsana web portal, at the bottom of the create screen is this dropdown that lets you tell Flowsana whether to apply it to subtasks:

Not currently possible with Flowsana, and I don’t know of any other apps that allow for that level of logical complexity. Like Asana, Flowsana’s rules act on the task that triggers the rule and don’t have the additional logic built in to check related tasks (in this case, all subtasks).

We use subtasks for approvals in our organization, and we are running into issues with not being able to create automation rules that use subtasks as triggers. What I would love to see included as a feature in Asana is when a subtask is approved it could be used as a trigger in an automation rule to send a comment on the main task or change a custom field of the main task.

1 Like

Hi @Emily_Roman has there been any progress on this? I would like to create a rule that automatically assigns someone to a sub task

Thanks
Toni

1 Like

What about specific subtasks, for example, if we want to move a task from one section to another when the “Review” subtask is complete?

Hi - no, as mentioned in your other thread, this isn’t currently available in Asana or Flowsana, sorry.

It appears that this feature is now available in Asana. THANK YOU!! I’m not sure if there is a way to make that more visible on this thread but that would be great, since I know this has been a long awaited feature. Also not sure what the communication capabilities are but it would be great to get a notification or announcement on this thread when the new features are implemented.

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 9.41.27 AM

1 Like

@Daniele_M – Thank you for this update. I just checked to see if I have the same option, but I’m not seeing it. Can you share more of how you’re accessing this?

Our org is on the Business-level account. Are you on the same account level?

When you are creating a rule at the right upper corner it shows.

Very exciting!

Seems like it’s still on it’s way - I can see this in 1 of 3 orgs I have access to, which happens to be on Premium. However, for the two other orgs which are on Business don’t have this feature yet.

2 Likes

Rules for Subtasks Feature is what we have been waiting for!
Really looking forward to more advanced rule settings in Asana :).

So far, I see that for subtasks, we cannot put two major triggers yet:

1. When the deadline is nearing
  2. When the task wasn’t completed by the deadline

Hopefully Asana allows these two options soon.

1 Like

@Sophie9 @Richard_Sather @Lisa_Marte @Rebecca_McGrath @Natalia Just noticed this feature added to my account. Going to test this out a bit but wondering if approvals are also treated as subtasks (similar to Flowsana)?

Specifically looking to add a rule that says when approval task is assigned to X person, add collaborator Y. Doesn’t seem to be possible in Flowsana as of yet

1 Like

Thank you for the update, @Richard_Sather. Good to know this is (hopefully) coming to Business and other account levels!

1 Like