All 'sections' have been turned into 'tasks'

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: All of the ‘sections’ in my projects have been converted to ‘tasks’

Steps to reproduce: n/a

Browser version: Google Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Upload screenshots below: 39%20AM

1 Like

Hi @kendra1 and thanks for reaching out!

This is not a bug, but directly related to some work we’re carrying out to update Sections and make them more powerful. You can learn more about this project in Sections are dead! Long live sections!. From what you’re describing, it sounds like your account was moved to our new data model including new Sections.

Our old Sections used to behave exactly like tasks in the back end, so that’s why you were able to add metadata to them. While our new Sections are smarter (they’re collapsible, can be moved along with their parent task…) they cannot contain metadata, so for each of your old sections containing data, we made sure to create a task so you don’t lose this important data and can store it somewhere else :slight_smile:

Hope this makes sense, but don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Hi Marie,

Thanks for letting me know this! The issue though now is that, since all of our sections have been recreated as new ‘sections’ I can’t actually move them or do anything with them… is that to be expected? We use them to sort our work for our marketing calendar.

Additionally, I no longer am able to even make sections (the feature’s capability is greyed out when I try).

Thanks for the quick follow-up @kendra1,

Could you please send me by DM a screenshot including your entire window, just so I can better understand what is happening on your end?

To send me a DM, simply click on my name in this post and select “Message”. (See screenshot below)

Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks for the quick follow-up!

Enable ro create new Sections: from what I’m seeing in your first screenshot, your focus is on the first task (it is highlighted in blue), I suspect this might be blocking you from creating new section. Try clicking somewhere out of the task list and the option should be available to you. Note taht you can also use the “Tab+N” shortcut to create ne sections on the fly!

How to move your Sections: There is 6 little dots just next to your Section title, you should be able to click on them to drag and drop your Section (How to Get Started With Asana My Tasks | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide)

Important Note: Your view is currently set to Incomplete tasks, so some Sections might look empty, but if you switch your view to “All Tasks”, you’ll be able to see task previously completed in this Section (Set up Board view for your Project • Asana Product Guide)

Hope this helps Kendra, but please let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Hey Marie,

Thanks for your help!

I tested making new sections per your suggestion and it still doesn’t work (see screenshot below).

Additionally, I tested moving my sections (I made a recording for you as well but it’s taking a while to upload) and clicking the 3 dots and dragging doesn’t work either. I can’t move them at all, I can just edit their title.

Thanks for the quick follow-up @kendra1,

I think I got it! From what I see, your project is sorted by due date, simply switch your sorting to none and you should be able to create Sections!

Let me know if that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

In the past my sections got a duedate and I was able to sort the tasks in sections by this ‘workaround’. This worked very well and many of our projects were organized in this way.

We created a project for Meetings for example in this way:

October: ← section, due date 01/10/19 00:00
Meeting 1 ← task, dd 05/10/19 18:00
Meeting 2 ← task, dd 05/10/19 19:00
Meeting 3 ← task, dd 06/10/19 …

November: ← section., dd 01/11/19 00:00

How about sort tasks in sections today? Now I have to sort each task manually - this is killing the time of me and my whole team each day. Really sad about your last update. This is a nightmare for my productivity!

Hope you find a solution.

Thank you in advance!

Best wishes

This is also what I did for all of my team’s projects - I agree, it’s really taking a lot of time to fix/reorganize when it was once so simple.

Just a suggestion:

By sorting by due date there are to options:
One as now and a second one which allow sorting by due date in the sections. The sections don’t need to be ordered.

It should not be a such big effort for your developers.

Pleeeeeease!