Adding Highlight Colors to Subtasks

Use case:

I use project colours and tag colors to quickly get a handle on priorities eg. blue is client deadlines, marketing is green, admin is grey. Anything is blue is a priority, everything else can get moved around.

Subtasks don’t pick up this color coding from their project so they get lost in the mix, which is a problem when using subtasks for important client milestones - they show up the same as unimportant things and get lost in a busy week.

Request: please have sub-tasks pick up the colors of their main project.

I’m using week view. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @Todd_Davies

I recommend upvoting on this existing thread: Adding Highlight Colors to Subtasks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a way to make the subtasks inherit the color coding from their parent’s tag?
This would be very useful when “My Tasks” calendar gets full of tasks instead of all the subtasks being the same colorless bar.

Also, is there a setting for a tag color to override the color settings for a project?

Thanks!

Hello @Alex_Twigg welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

I recommend upvoting this existing product feedback post: Adding Highlight Colors to Subtasks

There is also a workaround mentioned.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Adding my two cents here that I would love subtasks to take on their parent task project’s color. The work-around is doable (ie. adding a tag to each subtask to give it a color that matches the parent task project), but that’s extra work and I’m guessing will often be missed.

Agree that it would be great to see colors on subtasks automatically. Right now I can create the ST and go in to add that ST to a project and section, but then the subtask is listed twice on my the project list view and makes things very messy.

Thanks Sarah, that was super helpful for me!

Quick suggestion- instead of subtasks having the exact same colour as the project or a different tone, I would prefer the same colour of the parent project but some textural difference like diagonally striped or something. Having a solid but different tone could be confused for a different project but striped would be easily recognisable as a subtask of the parent project colour on a cluttered calendar.

Once again it makes little sense to have a subtasks that do not inherit parent tasks as they “subtasks.” Is the programming that hard to adjust on your platform that you are not making this an easy add on? Many people rely on color to navigate tasks as you can see based on the comments. Having people have to go into extra customized settings makes no sense. Then why even have subtasks? If you are looking at usability across different learning/comprehension styles its low hanging fruit to make this a drop down option. You offer multiple different ways to see tasks from calendar views to boards so if we are equating this app with digital “sticky notes” for a lot of users then it should have the capability.