Since individual notification settings override default settings, it’s cumbersome to have to “deselect” each checkbox individually. In Settings > Notifications > then Goal Notifications (for example), I had to deselect each checkbox individually. It would be helpful to have a “deselect all” button to quickly make those updates.
I agree @Sara_Meyer1 , don’t forget to vote for your own feedback. ![]()
Notification overwhelm is a thing. The purpose of a notification is to make you aware of a thing you need to be made aware of.
To work with this effectively you need to get:
- all the notifications you need,
- and only the notifications you need,
- once.
I have been frustrated by the process of correcting Asana’s default settings in this regard, and the recent addition of the attachment notification setting triggers the creation of this post.
To me, it makes sense to get notifications for both status updates and messages by default, because those are typically aimed at everyone in the project/ portfolio/goal.
Being notified of “tasks added” and “work added” is usually a terrible idea, as this only makes sense in exceptional cases:
- A project for which you actually want to keep an eye on all tasks added, for instance a process workflow where the first available colleague will pick the new tasks
- Needing to keep an eye on which projects/portfolios are added to a portfolio
For 9 out of 10 projects/portfolios, this setting should be turned off.
I’d say the same is true for the attachments. Just like a task being added without me being added as a collaborator or assignee, I couldn’t care less about any attachment being added if it isn’t accompanied by a comment clarifying why the added attachment is relevant to me.
There might of course be exceptions, but I’d say they should be treated as such.
Getting too many notifications seems a bigger problem by far than missing notifications. Often - by the time we teach a user to manage their notifications - they tend to have a lot of live projects and portfolios with terrible default settings.
Now I find myself - like I often find clients - in a situation where I need to deselect 100+ projects/portfolios individually.
In some cases, the “manage individual projects/portfolios” doesn’t even contain the complete list.
For both myself and our clients, I’d very much like the ability to change the notification settings for ALL projects/portfolios.
As the “manage individual projects” might not contain the entire list I think an option to apply a specific setting to all projects/portfolios is probably best.
Related:


