Ability to search using Underscore "_"

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: If a board or any task has an underscore nothing beyond the underscore is searchable

Steps to reproduce: Create a board or task 1234_test_me_apple search for test, me or apple

Browser version: Microsoft Edge 44.17763.1.0 google chrome Version 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Upload screenshots below:

Hi @Dustin_Biddle and welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Thank you for taking the time to report this. I have created a Task for our Development Team to look into this. I’ll get back to you as soon as I have an update.

Have a great Wednesday!

2 Likes

Hi @Dustin_Biddle and apologies for the late reply here!

Our Team has confirmed that this is not a Bug but actually an expected behaviour since our search engine treats the “_” as a word character rather than a delimiter. This is the reason why when searching for “three”, nothing appears in the search tool.

As it stands, our search tool does not consider any kind of delimiter-splitting. Hopefully this is something we can implement in future updates.

Thank you for your patience. If there is anything else I can help you with, do not hesitate to reach out! I’ll be more than happy to help! Have a great Friday!

Our Team has confirmed that this is not a Bug but actually an expected behavior since our search engine treats the “_” as a word character rather than a delimiter.

Can_the_team_please_explain_why_an_underscore_would_be_considered_a_word?_I_am_using_it_here_as_a_word…_does_this_seem_like_an_underscore_should_be_considered_a_word?

Even the ASANA FORUMS don’t consider “_” as a word and lets us search for words after an underscore, so why can’t we do this too?

Please allow searching for words following an underscore! As of this moment, we can’t search for ANY task, as all of our tasks are named with underscores. This is VERY frustrating and would only take one simple code addition (str.includes) to implement this in your search functionality.

1 Like

We are running into this problem as well. We need to be able to search keywords/numbers that are separated by underscores. If you won’t exclude them from search, is there a symbol (like *, which doesn’t work) for “wild” that would return the example task name below when searching “1234”?
“DAM-1234_Task_Name_Here”