Ability to save search queries as templates and make them available to other teammates

Hi all. I was just in an onboarding meeting where we brainstormed potentially useful advanced searches, and a colleague said that he wished we could save searches as templates that could be available to everyone. It took us a minute to figure out that you can indeed share searches, not as templates but by using the ‘Copy Search URL’ option in the drop-down next to the search’s title:

So, we set up a project titled ‘Useful Reports’, with 2 sections:

1. What reports are available?
  2. What reports would be useful?

Section 1 contains tasks with the Advanced Search as the title and the URL in the description. People can click on the URL, edit the search and save it to their own favourites. This is great for people who want to run reports but aren’t yet confident with using Advanced Search.

Section 2 is where people can request reports for various information, and the more experienced Asana users among us can create the searches and share them.

I just wanted to share this tip in case anyone else is rolling out Asana and is looking for a way to demonstrate how useful Advanced Searches can be.

31 Likes

Great tip @Mark_Hudson. I actually haven’t used the share URL before but can definitely see how this would be useful!

2 Likes

Good share, @Mark_Hudson. I find this is very helpful for executives who want reports but aren’t as familiar with Asana as others in a company.

1 Like

This is somewhat helpful but too time intensive - as an administrator I would like to be able to set up some standardize reports that everyone gets automatically, like the default Tasks I’ve Created and Recently Completed Tasks. Is this a new feature request or is it already a capability?

9 Likes

Hi @Carol_Ann! Premium users can certainly create and save reports. Take a look at full details here How to Search For and Find Work in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

@Alexis I believe @Carol_Ann was referring to saving reports for everyone in the team instead of only for ourselves. I don’t believe this is possible yet, but it would be a very useful feature.

7 Likes

Hi @Duncan_Lukkenaer

Although you can’t save a report for everyone, you can create a task, which is viewable to everyone, and paste multiple report URLs into the task’s description. Anyone can click on those URLs to access the search results.

It’s not as direct as what you’re looking for, but it achieves the same result.

2 Likes

Totally agree. Curious to the answer.

Anyway to pull data only from a particular advanced search report from the API?

This would help me a lot!

Someone should make this into a feature request. I could see so many ways to integrate this within Asana. If I cannot find an existing feature request on this topic, I will make one myself. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @TYL3R did you ever make this as a product feature request? I had the same issue just this morning. I’d love to add my vote to it.

2 Likes

Another 4 months… did anything ever happen with this? As a frequent Dropbox paper user where we share documents in links on Slack, in Dropbox Paper documents etc, it feels odd that this is not possible in Asana. Ideally, it creates a nice preview of the projects on that report in Slack so people can get a view without having to dig into anything themselves… Would be a great feature.

1 Like

@Stefan_Nordbruch In case it’s helpful, Velocity is an Asana reporting integration that lets you create reports and dashboards of your Asana data and share them via email, private URLs, CSV, Excel, HTML embeds, live CSV URLs, and more. We haven’t built a Slack integration yet, but we’re considering building one. If there are any specific reports that you’d like to create, or any ways in which you’d like to share them, we’d be happy to help. Feel free to ask here or shoot us a line at support@getvelocity.co.

(Disclosure: I’m a cofounder of Velocity.)

Late the party on this but we are just getting to this topic. Sure would be nice and honestly surprised this is not already in Asana.

1 Like