Zap Tag creation

I’m noobing my way through on the share, is the below the way to do it or were you talking a screenshot?

Zapier link

So you want to create a task with a tag and assign it to an email?

Yes, but the tag is not created yet in Asana.

So, Zapier said that they cannot create a tag unless the tag already exists:

“Sorry about that error you’re seeing. It looks like Asana would need a Tag ID to be present there for creating a new task with the tag. It doesn’t seem possible currently to dynamically add tags that are not already present on your account.”

My question now is, can you recommend anyone to write this code for me?

I might know what is happening. You cannot at the moment with the API create a task and a tag at the same time. You need to create a task, create a tag, and then attach the tag to the task. See Build an app with Asana

Ok, looks like I’m off to hire a Dev then to build it. Can you recommend any fairly priced Devs to do the work?

I don’t but I am sure people from the Community might. @Diakoptis for example?

Heya! Do you have a premium account? If so I would just recommend using a custom field for this instead of creating a new tag.

Hello @Cataloguing,

Welcome at Asana Community.

@Bastien_Siebman is right.

1. Zapier first have to create the tag (there is api support for this)
  2. and after to create the new task and add the created task id.

I am not using Zapier so I am not sure if it can handle this flow. You can ask them.

Another solution could be to use a new text custom field in the project to set the email you want and let zapier to create a new task setting the specific custom field with this email.

What do you think?

Regards,
D.

whoops .ginx!

Thanks for replying. I looked at that, paying for 5 licences when all I
needed was 3 was not attractive. I hate paying for stuff that I’m not using.

Great response, I appreciate it. I’ve already engaged a Dev to complete the
work. I looked at the possibility of going premium but paying for 5
licences when I ask required was 3 put me off.

If he needs any help using the asana api feel free to ask :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re a good person, many thanks @Diakoptis

2 Likes

wow. This comment was priceless. You are a good person too @Cataloguing. Thank you for your kind words :unicorn:

2 Likes

Same as @Diakoptis I am available if you need help with the API, and I can help your developer as well.

Really appreciate your help to @Bastien_Siebman, such a great community.

1 Like

You can do this in about 5 minutes with our free Dossier (by Onboardify) app available on the Asana site – it tags all tasks created from incoming email with the sender’s identity (this can be his company name or email or anything you like). It’s free for low-volume email.

1 Like

@Phil_Seeman shared a wonderful Zap that does the job in Zapier. You can create the tag and then assign the tag to the task that you are working with in the Zap. It involves two webhooks, I tried it yesterday and works like a charm.

1 Like