šŸ„ā€ā™‚ļø You should not be notified about things you donā€™t care about

Hi all - Can you guys help me understand why if I have turned off notifications on all the projects as you indicated, why am I still getting inbox notifications through Asana when people complete the tasks in projects that I unchecked status updates on those project notifications? I would prefer not to remove myself as a collaborator as Iā€™m the overall admin butā€¦is taht the reason I still get notified? I thought the notification controls would have stopped them but they still come and the INBOX then is useless to me since itā€™s too many things.
Please adivse best practice.

The ā€œstatus updateā€ notification related to the ā€œProject Status Updateā€ like ā€œOn trackā€ or ā€œOff trackā€, it does not related to anything related to tasks. You get notified in those cases because you are collaborator on those tasks.
Hope that helps!

@Bastien_Siebman , see that most of this is from the perspective of the person who is receiving the notifications. But if that person wants to receive notifications on a task that has been updated, every little update that is performed will be sent as its own notification.

As a project manager, and at our organization, we are using subtasks for tracking meetings that we conduct by placing all the meeting minutes within that task. We place the actual minutes in the Description field, then upload any documents to be distributed as a result of that meeting. Then we add the meeting attendees as collaborators before Marking the task Complete.

The collaborators will then receive a Task Complete Notification with much, if not all of what transpired in that task. But then they get notified for every single action taken under that task, e.g. each document attached to the task is notified individually; every comment posted is notified individually, then of course the action to mark the task as complete is an additional notification.

I would request that the owner of a project have the ability to manage notification for who, when, and how much of a notification is sent out as a single notification, instead of all of these elements being notified individually.

Was looking for a thread to share this idea on, I think this is relevant:

I wish there was a way to ā€œFocusā€ notifications for an hour or four. When Iā€™m working on a hard deadline, and everyone else knows that, I donā€™t want to see notifications about stuff I am working on, but not at that moment. If I could choose a task or project and say ā€œonly allow notifications from this task for the next x-durationā€ that would be ideal.

ā€¦because I know I put my devices in focus mode or just turn off internet access, but sometimes Iā€™m waiting to hear about a specific decision or something and need to know asap.

Do you know any other tool doing this? That seems so specific, I was just curious :slight_smile: thanks

Has there been an update to this, do you know by any chance? Would really love to change the default so that theyā€™re not notified of all tasks when they join a project.

@anon55225299 I was basically told that trying to get a call together to present what my needs are and why are not something they do as they do not have the bandwidth to support that type of activity. So basically, to my knowledge, nothing is being developed to help me.

@Bastien_Siebman only what I do in Excel by manually sending emails out to my team members. If there are other software solutions like Asana that have this functionality that I am asking for, I donā€™t know. All I know is that if I have a task I am updating in Asana that may require attaching several documents to go along with the notes and updates that I need to include and then marking that task complete, if I then add contributors to that task, each contributor gets hit with half a dozen emails informing them of everything that has ever occurred on that task. That is TOO much. Since my task contributors are also my paying customers, I will not subject them to so many emails only to report a task complete. They are busy enough without having to accept and file away 5-10 emails for the use of one task with multiple components that were completed on it, including the completion of the task itself.

1 Like

I am having the same issue as Brittany_Russell - I turned off all notifications, but I am still getting a task notification in my inbox - is there any way to stop that? I do still need to be on the project - but just donā€™t need a notification every time a task is complete - @Bastien_Siebman ?

The only reason you are still being notified is because you are a collaborator on the task. If yes, you need to find out why and remove yourself from other tasks.

Hello team - I have a request from a user, who would only like to see specific types of tasks in the project plan. We have a column that notates that a particular task belongs to a specific group, and people would like to only receive notifications based on that column - and not see ALL notifications for all tasks in the project.
Is that possible? Or because we are using one project you only get to choose if you want notifications on or off for tasks in that project?

It does not really work this way, they would have to be added/removed as collaborators on tasks. But this could be automated with rules.