Wrong notification about the status of an approval task

We have recently discovered something which appears to be a bug connected to approval tasks.

You can reproduce it as follows:

Create two tasks A and B. Here, task A is an approval task (Approval tasks in Asana • Asana Product Guide). Mark B as dependent from A. Assign A and B to different people. Everything is fine so far. But now, when someone requests changes for task A (the middle button in the approval navigation bar), the person in charge for task B gets the info that task A is done (and this actually appears as a status info in task B) and therefore can be started now. But actually, the task is not done at all.

In our example, task A was about writing an article (a typical approval task), and task B was about putting that article online. It is crucial that the person in charge for task B doesn’t get a false info that task A is done.

Hi @Martin_Brandenburg, thanks for your report!

I see what you mean, I was able to reproduce this. I believe this happen because when you mark an approval task as Request Changes it’s marked complete and for this reason you get notified that the task was completed and you can continue with the next step.

Let me dig into this further and confirm if this is working as intended. Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Hi @Emily_Roman

Did this ever get solved? I’m wondering because we’re creating a workflow in which a certain set of Tasks can only be completed once the Approval is specifically checked “Approved” - not “Request Changes”.

Once a manager changes the Approval task to “Approved”, it should open up the rest of the Tasks for completion. Does that make sense?

I’m also wondering the best way to manage Notifications for Approval Tasks and associated Dependencies.

For instance, how does a Manager get notified that an Approval Task is ready to be reviewed?

Then, once the Manager marks the Approval Task as “Approved”, how can an automated notification to the Assignee of the Blocked tasks be sent. Is this notification system built into Asana when Approvals are checked, or do they need to be manually set up?

Thanks!

I do not think this is fixed, since I just had this exact same bug totally mess with a project.

Yep…I’d like to know who thought this was a good default.

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.