Where do I write code using the Asana API?

How do you write code using the Asana API? I’m reading through the documentation on Asana and am unsure where to actually start coding. Is there an Asana script editor or something?

Please read this before posting

• If you received an error from the API that you’re looking for help with, please include the error in your post and be descriptive of the requests you made that received the errors. To be clear, we need the error in the JSON response from the API, not the error your code raised.
  • Do not share any API credentials. Please check that the code you’re pasting into the post does not contain any real OAuth tokens or personal access tokens. If you have exposed credentials, you should revoke them immediately.

There is not. There’s no user interface within Asana for writing code. Interfacing with Asana via the API involves writing your own code, in your own language of your choosing, in whatever tech stack you prefer. There are some pre-built client libraries in some common languages; if you write in one of those languages I would definitely recommend you use that library, as it’ll save you from having to write a lot of code yourself.

3 Likes

Is this still the case? I was under the impression we could move away from using Zapier for API and do something directly in Asana, as information is coming from Salesforce and would be reflected in a custom field of a project, as we use the portfolio as a dashboard view.

I think what you’re referring to is this new “Web request” rule trigger (currently in beta, though, and not recommended for production use):

You can read about it here:
Incoming web requests (asana.com)

1 Like