Voice recognition in Android

Hi there,

I was thinking this might be a good idea for Asana to develop into the system or have it as an integration.

In the business that I work in (plumbing/construction) when we send out service guys to do something at an address, it is always very difficult to get them to leave a very descriptive comment on/in the task. This proves billing for said service difficult to do and would require phone calls, back and forth’s and a lot of time wasted. It is understandable that these workers do not do it since they are in and out of the trucks and busy with too many things at once to sit down and write a descriptive comment.

However, we have found, that if we ask them to send a voice note of what was done, most of the time by WhatsApp they do just fine, they can just record what they did by voice and call it a day.

That brings me to my idea, there is a program/app called Otter. This app allows you to upload voice notes from anywhere. It then transcribes those voice notes into text and surprisingly accurate too. You can even record directly from the app itself. Obviously it allows you to create files and teams to save data to more specific places.

Asana, do you think that this is something that you can do?

P.S. I used Asana like 12 hours a day and I am such a fan.

All the best,

Ben

Welcome back @Ben_Packer :wave:t3:and thanks for your kind words :hugs:

We already have a voice recognition feature in iOS Getting started with the Asana iOS app | Product guide • Asana Product Guide but unfortunately, it is not available in Android! I believe Android has its own built-in voice transcription service which you could leverage, but a built-in feature would be a lot easier to use!

I’ve edited the title of the thread to make it more discoverable and I’ve moved your post to the #mobile:androidios-feedback category, I hope that’s ok!

Have a great weekend Ben!

Thank you Marie for pointing that out. I can already think about applying this. However, does this allow voice recordings to be dropped in a task or adding a voice note to a specific sub task? I.e. from whats app etc?

Voice recordings will automatically be added to a new task, currently it is not possible to add them as a comment, unfortunately! However, you can download them (.m4a format) just like any other attachment in Asana.

Hope this helps!

Please let me vote this with 100+ :innocent:!

1 Like

Any news on this @Marie?

Not at the moment @Thomas_Rypens, but I’m keeping an eye this and will make sure to update your here when I have some news :+1:t3:

Any news on this?
Would be super handy - especially for those of us in construction like Ben said, we don’t have time to sit down and type, would be so much better if it could be dictated!

Any update for Android?

Well hello,
So will this functionality be added to the android app anytime?
Thanks

1 Like

Is this on your to-do-list yet, @Marie ? It will be madly used by many of us. :kissing_heart: