Visualize Task Dependencies Across Projects

What is the best way to visualize task dependencies across projects? I can create them but not see them in the same way I can when they exist inside the same project.

Thanks!

by “see”, i am referencing the timeline format.

I think I solved this by creating a master project and duplicating everything there.

New question Is it possible to link tasks so that, if i move a task from doing to done in one project, it takes the same action in another project?

Thanks!

@Richard_Stone when you add tasks to the same project you can achieve what you are looking to do. If you are using Custom Fields to track the “doing to done” you just need to make sure you are using the same global Custom Field in both projects.

@LEGGO thanks! that seems to work fine. the only catch (at least with my current set up) is that if i am using the kanban board and move a card from “backlog” to “to do” i must manually move on both boards. using the custom fields can solve this problem though.

thanks!

What I have done in these instances is create a global Custom Field that matches the Sections/Columns within the projects. Apply this field to both projects and use Rules (in each project) to update the tasks to be in the correct Section upon a change to the custom field! :wink:

The solution above — to manually add every relevant task to a sort of “master” project, then use Timeline view in the master project — seems like a lot of work. The couple clicks are not a lot of work; it’s remembering to do it, and making sure I don’t miss any tasks that requires work.

Instead, what if…?

• Asana could auto-generate a “master timeline” or master dependency view, accounting for all projects? Or, like Portfolios, this view could include whatever selected projects one wanted to see
  • As an option, this view could also display dependencies from outside tasks not in those selected projects. For example, if I’m looking at the master timeline for Projects A and B, this could optionally also include dependencies from Project C (even though C wasn’t selected). The usefulness here is making sure I can see all dependencies — especially those ones I’ve forgotten about (and didn’t manually select!).
  • For that matter, this timeline/dependency view could be generated from any arbitrary set of tasks. For example, say I have a saved “report” (query) that finds everything assigned to me in the next 30 days. At the moment, search results can be viewed only in list or calendar views. Add “timeline” or “dependency” view here. (Asana’s saved reports are quite powerful — it would be helpful to augment it with additional views into how those results relate and connect to each other.)
9 Likes

I absolutely vote for Scott’s recommendation! Being able to see a collective view of multiple related projects and easily create cross dependencies is a MUST and if I’m being honest, a fairly basic PM function.

2 Likes