View/organize tasks as a Mindmap

It will be great to be able to view and organize (and re-organize) tasks in a project in a MindMap-type form.

Some really good use cases and tips were provided in “Mindmap to Asana” post in #tipsandtricks and it shows that users want to (a) use mindmap to prepare the set of tasks and (b) export the set of tasks to a mindmap (for analysis?).

My use case is simple - as soon as there are more than 15-20 tasks and more than a few sections, it becomes hard to manage them as a list.

Being able to view the tasks in a mindmap form (OK, that would be a third view after list and board, but ideally just a flavor of list), can help a lot in being able to observe, categorize, organize and plan tasks. It allows using the visual apparatus more efficiently and fit a lot more tasks on the screen.

For example, the center bubble can be the project name, the first level bubbles are the task sections, second level are tasks and the subtasks show up as third+ level.

12 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking about - mindmap view as a third layout, that would be incredibly helpful!

7 Likes

Asana, this would be a valuable feature!!

7 Likes

Until Asana adds a mind map view (and mind map import)…this may be of interest:

So as not to divert this thread’s topic/discussion, please find more info, and confine any discussion of Asana2Go’s mind map features, to that new thread.

For a short video of these new Asana2Go features (which are pretty fun!):
Demo/How-To Video - Asana2Go: Import and Export Mind Maps

Thanks,

Larry Berger
Asana2Go & Asana Certified Pro consultant at Trilogi

1 Like

Similar to the timeline - mind maps are interconnected and require tasks and people following it. Would be nice to have this feature implemented. Thanks

3 Likes

@florian.csintalan, I upvoted and agree. Until then, and in case you weren’t already aware, there’s this (disclaimer: I’m the creator):

Thanks,

Larry

11 Likes

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Hello, now with the new Asana, can I do that?
Because I can not export the sessions!!
Help me please!
@lpb

@Leticia_Ghisio,

Update on 11/9/19: Export from Asana to a mindmap is fully-functional again in Asana2Go. See Add a Mind Map feature - #3 below

Re export from Asana to Mindmap: The Asana Sections change means that part of the Asana2Go feature won’t work as initially implemented. You can still export to a mindmap all the tasks, but it won’t (yet; see below) know the sections they are in. However, other levels of the mindmap export come from a task’s subsections and subtasks, and those still work to generate the mindmap hierarchy.

Also starting from within a task by selecting subsections/subtasks works fine, and also starting from My Tasks, because those are “Separators” not “Sections” and are selectable, so perhaps that could help.

Asana2Go actually does understand the new sections behavior, but I’d have to rewrite the existing format “Mind Map - Export Asana Tasks to Coggle”. This is on my list, but not sure when I’ll get to it. I do write custom reports for clients, so if you are others are interested, please private message me by clicking on my avatar here or via Asana2Go.

Re import from mindmap to Asana: Asana changed the import feature and there have been a number of bug reports. I’ve been waiting for that to settle down before testing.

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks so much for your help!

1 Like

@Leticia_Ghisio,

Mindmap export from Asana to a mindmap using Asana2Go is now fully functional again. Version 1.6.06 will auto-update for everyone within the next few hours and sections are fully supported again in export from Asana to a mindmap.

For example, if you start with the Asana project template Team Onboarding Plan (a portion shown below):

then you can convert it automatically to the following in www.coggle.it:

The above is exactly how it is automatically created; no manual manipulation required.

All you do is: In Asana, select all 22 tasks in the project, click on Asana2Go, choose Mind Map - Export Asana Tasks to Coggle then click Save CSV/Text File. In a blank new (or existing) Coggle, just drag and drop the created file (From MacOS Finder or Windows Explorer). That’s it!

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

You are a genius!
Thanks so much for your help!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

This should be merged with :

1 Like

Definitely agree. Is Asana taking this into consideration?

I agree. It’s a great suggestion. I’m a Zenkit user currently checking out Asana and I’d like to build on this suggestion. Zenkit has this feature built in so that you can simply swap views within a project between list, table, kanban, calendar, mindmap and wiki. I love much of Asana but it really lacks the power of Zenkit in this way. I’d love to see both a mindmap and a wiki feature added to Asana natively so that I could do what I can in Zenkit: for example, create a project from a mind mapping session, then click to change the view to schedule it in a calendar, then click to change view again to update it in a kanban board, etc.

2 Likes

Hi RSWH_me

Are you considering switching from Zenkit to Asana? Why is that?

I’m not familiar with Zenkit but the ability to switch between different formats as you mentioned sounds pretty awesome.

Hey @Brandon_Truong-Phan - yes Zenkit is pretty amazing. However, I created a weighted decision matrix across Things3, Todoist, Zenkit, Asana, Monday to decide which one to settle with.
Asana narrowly won over Zenkit.
Some of the things that edged Asana in front (in my subjective judgement) includes the amount and quality of support and the community such as this forum and I like the Asana design / UI - it has a pleasing look to me.
I really like Asana and I’m getting settled in to it. However there are a heap of really neat features that I’d recommend you try out on Zenkit.
I’d be even happier if Asana started to roll out these features to or allow more closely coupled integration with other apps.

1 Like

I really like Asana and support the work Asana does. Everytime I search for Asana and Mindmap the first result is now clickup.com because they have mind maps built in. I don’t want to switch from Asana. Asana can you please make this Mindmap feature happen. I’ll use Asana2Go features for now, but that is more work than an integrated option.

13 Likes

Is there a feature on Asana to mind map? I have seen previous requests for this feature but cannot see that it has been implemented. Are there any plans in the foreseeable future? Thanks

No, there isn’t such a feature at this time. You can check and upvote this thread: View/organize tasks as a Mindmap

1 Like