Variables in rules has stopped working

Since yesterday Task related variables have disappeared from Rule. Not only that I can no longer find option to bring Task related variables to new actions, they existing one have also stopped populating values.

In the attached screen shot UAT and Go-Live are existing subtasks. When they were created Asana gave me the option to add related Task’s variables. But when the rule runs now it only populates NULL value. Add Variable menu option no longer show Task as an option to selected variables from.

4 Likes

FYI this is being discussed among the moderators and Forum Leaders; I think @Marie will have more information on it soon.

4 Likes

Hi @Hasham_Syed, this is likely happening because the triggers you have picked for this rule aren’t compatible with some variables. Our team recently made an update so that Asana only show variables in the dropdown that are compatible with certain triggers - so if a trigger isn’t selected, or if the trigger selected isn’t compatible then no variables are shown.

I’ve escalated this feedback internally and our team is looking to improve this experience. I’ll circle back on this thread as soon as I have an update. Thanks for your patience!

My current workaround is to set ONLY the trigger as ‘Task is added’, then apply the variables to the actions (you should find Task Name and People available!) and then go back and correct the trigger that you actually want to use.

Note: Not a solution but marked as such to elevate a key reply

6 Likes

@Marie - Task name and People variable options are no longer showing when building rules. Here’s a current rule from one of our projects where this ability exists. I can also confirm as of 2024-05-27 that this rule still works and is able to utilize the Task name variable correctly.

When I attempt to create this rule elsewhere, Task name no longer appears as an option. However, since I had this rule defined in a Bundle, I am able to add it to a new project using a Bundle and can confirm the Task name variable is still working as defined. I just cannot create any new rules that create subtasks and attempt to use the Task name as a variable.

What happened? Was the amazing feature deprecated?

Update: I can confirm the approach provided by @Richard_Sather , mentioned here, helped resolve this issue.

1. Create a rule with a single trigger set to “Task is added to this project”
  2. Define your conditions and actions as normal. You will see the Task name and People variables as expected.
  3. Once finished, update your trigger to your desired conditions. e.g., I replaced "“Task is added to this project” with “When flag is changed.”
3 Likes

See Variables in rules has stopped working

Thanks Herve. I was updating my post with those details when your reply came through. :raised_hands:

Hey @Skyler , glad this worked for you. I have merged your posts and @Herve_Buisset’s into this thread.

1 Like

Unless the new feature deprecated this feature it is not an issue of incompatible trigger. I had a bunch of triggers for subtasks to be created and inherit taskname as an appended value. All those existing rules now show NULL. Seems like a deprecation of a feature more than incompatibility. This was such a handy way to identify related activities where the link to parent task isn’t obvious i.e. reports, custom list page etc.

1 Like

@Marie This work around is the solution for now but to this shows its a bug and not a trigger compatiblity issue. I too was able to add Task trigger, setup variable and change the triggering condition to field update and its working for now.

1 Like

I agree with @Hasham_Syed .

It would make sense for instance if the variable for Task>Default was omitted as an option when the variable is used in the action ‘Set task title to’. This is because the variable will not be clickable when used as the task title since it is displayed as text anyway. Therefore, in such a scenario, only 'Task>Name ’ would suffice.

On the other hand, when the variable is to be used in ‘Set task description to’ or ‘Add comment’, I would expect to see both options for Task>Name and Task>Default.

I think it’s clear that something broke in the latest update - my workaround should be proof of that.

2 Likes

@Marie - I’m pretty confident this is indeed broken, and it is causing issues daily for clients. Do we know if the team has acknowledged the bug yet and if they have an ETA for a fix?

4 Likes

Our team is looking into this. I don’t have an ETA yet, but I’ll keep you posted here as soon as I do!

1 Like

Thank you, Marie! This issue is severely impacting my company and has put a stop to a large project that was due this week, so we are staying tuned!!

2 Likes

I have single select custom fields that I have been using to create subtasks and last week I was able to use the Task Name variable. As of yesterday, my multi-select custom fields will allow the Task Name variable but not the single select custom fields. I have been discussing with support and they have said that you cannot use custom field changes to get the Task Name variable but I made them last week with it.

2 Likes

Me too! I’m about to add more rules and all of sudden this important feature is gone!

1 Like

I’m also having this issue - I’m still able to see Task Name as a variable in existing subtasks, but can’t add to new ones. Pretty frustrating as I’m trying to update an automation that creates the framework for large campaigns. I don’t have the time/Asana know-how for the more complex workarounds as we’re between project managers.

@Kathryn_Leigh , @Michele_Law , @Yin_Yan_Shum , @Mary_Pagan , you may want to try this workaround as a temporary solution, until Asana fix this.

1 Like

PS: our team is actively working on this. We’re hoping to have an update sometimes next week! Thank you all for your patience :pray:

5 Likes

Why would my variable assignee options not be available in my rules builder? I have a rule where I’m trying to @mention the assignee as well as assign a newly created subtask to the assignee of the parent task.

1. In the new rules builder, I’m adding a comment to a task where I want to @mention the assignee. When I select the + sign to add variables only Dates and Custom fields options are available, the people option is no longer available.
    add-variable1

2. In the same rules builder, I’m also adding a subtask that should be assigned to the parent task assignee. When I click the + sign next to the assignee field there are no options available.
    add-variable2