Using Asana projects for password storing?

Hi all,

I was curious to see if anyone uses Asana as “storage” for passwords.

I am performing work for a company, and they are currently directing people to put their password in the “details” part of a certain task so that they and the other people on the project have access to it. They also have a form with a social security number field. This form then creates a task within this specific project. Again, a few different people have access to it.

I don’t know if I like this practice – I’m not sure that it’s secure enough. I have heard from a couple of different resources that it isn’t recommended to do this, but I can’t find any “official word” on this from Asana.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Hi @anon22711842, thanks for reaching out! As a general rule, it is not recommended to store passwords on any software unless the software is designated for this purpose. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thoughts? Yes. It is not a good idea and it puts all those passwords at serious risk. This would be true even if Asana were not a wide open system with respect to users being able to change and delete tasks and content at will and with no, or minimal, traceability.

I recommend using LastPass or another similar password manager to manage password sharing. It is designed for security and also secure sharing.

Asana isn’t really designed for this kind of use case. I’d highly recommend 1Password instead.

Thanks very much!

I agree. I like LastPass better. I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something!