"Unfurl" links in comments from tools like Droplr, CloudApp, and the like

Slack and many other platforms unfurl image lines from Droplr, CloudApp, and the like. It would be great if this would also happen inside of Asana tasks, specifically in two places: the Task Description and in the Comments.

This request is similar to this one here, but my request here uses the technical term of “unfurl”:

Slack and many other platforms unfurl image links from Droplr, CloudApp, and the like. It would be great if this would also happen inside of Asana tasks, specifically in two places: the Task Description and in Comments.

This request is similar to this one below, but my request here uses the technical term of “unfurl”:

@Chris_Moore: did you post that message twice by any chance?

Anyway, does Asana support link previews? The feature has been requested two years ago, and there are a ton of client-side libraries that do link previews safely.

1 Like

Wanted to add a link to a great library for generating link previews, but found out that [I can’t edit my post](Let me edit my posts on this forum. What’s up with that, Team Asana? Please don’t say spam or abuse; there are better ways to deal with that.)

@Chris_Moore: were you trying to edit your post as well?

GAH, I missed a closing ) and I can’t edit my post above. Seriously?!

It would be amazing if links dropped into comments would show up with a preview, like they do in Slack, and if they also appeared under the Files tab. We’re using links to google docs in task comments because the process for attaching google docs files is quite heavy going. It would be great if we could then access them from the Files tab later too.

Hi,

That is called “unfurling” and I believe you should be able to join voices with "Unfurl" links in comments from tools like Droplr, CloudApp, and the like :slight_smile: cc @Rebecca_McGrath for merging the threads?

Take care!

I am excited to use the new Video Recording feature in tasks. I especially like how it creates a small preview video in the comments. Is there any way to do that with other Vimeo videos so that they show up the same way in the comments of a task in Asana?

I have a handful of screen recordings that I have uploaded to Vimeo that were created before this new feature was added to Asana and would like for them to be added to tasks and function the same way with the preview video window in the comments.

Hi @Garth :wave:
What you are describing is called “unfurling”. There is this existing thread "Unfurl" links in comments from tools like Droplr, CloudApp, and the like - #7 by Ian_Engelbrecht, @Rebecca_McGrath @Emily_Roman should we merge all unfurling requests and rename the main topic?

2 Likes

@Bastien_Siebman Thanks for helping get my topic linked in here. Also, I love it when I learn new terminology.

Unfurling would be a great little feature to have added to Asana for external media links.

1 Like

Dear ASANA please allow unfurling/preview of url NOW!

Chiming in again Asana Dev team, letting you know that this is still a feature we would appreciate being added. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m new to Asana and am disappointed that links are not unfurling. This is a VERY HELPFUL feature for those of us who do a lot of research and information gathering for projects. I’ve set up a task in each project called “Research and Information Gathering.” I am posting links to relevant info on various websites in the comments. However, since the link doesn’t unfurl, I have to include a description of each link’s destination manually. That’s a lot more work. (I’m adding a lot of links.) It also increases the risk of team members wasting time opening links if the description they (or someone else) came up with is not clear when it’s needed in the future.

I’ve created a workaround. I created a special purpose channel in Slack (where the links unfurl) for each project. Then I pasted the link to that channel in the Research and Information Gathering task in Asana. It’s a bit of a pain, but easier than coming up with a clear description for every link manually, and makes retrieving the information (the most important part) A LOT easier.

I’m diggin’ Asana thus far and would REALLY APPRECIATE this feature being added.

+1 on the need for unfurling!

We need UnfUrl feature on link in comments like in Trello and Slack