Understanding notifications from Projects created by Template

OK team, I have an issue that I need to tread carefully on. I need to give our business owner the ability to archive old projects without also building into the system a problem where he’s getting flooded with notifications from these projects. I am a super-admin here along with our business owner. I feel like this is a rookie level question but I’m just not entirely sure.

Our company uses Projects to represent the jobs we bid on. Eventually we need to archive the Project once the job is completed, or if we lose the bid. The business owner is, by necessity, THE person who needs to archive these projects. This isn’t really negotiable.

However, in an effort to avoid his Asana inbox being firebombed by massive amounts of unnecessary notifications across all these hundreds of projects, we have intentionally set the Project Template such that he’s not a member of any of them. Well, now this is preventing him from archiving these job (which is a topic I started a different thread on… I find it very odd that a Super Admin cannot archive a project unless he’s a member of it, that seems to go against the concept of a super-admin in my opinion, but I digress).

So back to the main topic here. If we add the business owner BACK onto the template as a member of each project that gets created by the template, how can I be sure to set it such that he isn’t bombed with unnecessary notifications? He doesn’t need notifications for ANYTHING going on in any of those projects unless he’s intentionally tagged or assigned.

Second, will doing this (making him a member) give him the ability to archive them later? Or will he need to be the project owner?

@Matt5 - if he turns off his notifications for projects, he can mute pretty much everything except for times when he is added as a collaborator on a specific task (eg assigned to him, at mentioned). He can do this by going to his avatar in the top right, clicking on settings, and scrolling to the bottom of the notifications tab.

He will need whatever access level you have set on the template to allow for structural changes to the project. I believe this defaults to admins and editors but you’ll want to check in your templates. He does not necessarily need to be the project owner.

1 Like

So, is he going to have to do that with every project, piecemeal? Or are you talking about his global settings?

There was a time (probably a year or two ago) that I think he tried changing his global settings under his Asana profile, and we still ended up needing to remove him from project templates because he still kept getting notifications.

My memory is a bit fuzzy on it, but for a long while it seemed like Asana’s rules for notifications were really unstable, or at the very least, that the algorithm was unintuitive. It was as if we would set our profile settings to basically “no notifications”, but new jobs created by that Project Template would still override the profile settings

Hi @Matt5
Can you try going to the project template and removing the person from the template altogether as a collaborator for tasks. This way when a new project is created from the template, they won’t be automatically added in to all the tasks they get notifications from.

I believe that should solve the issue.

1 Like

So, if I hear you correctly, open the tasks inside the template and remove the business owner from each task so that they are not a collaborator? If that’s the case, that’s what we’ve done.

I can try to see if adding him back onto the template itself, but not the tasks, will help give us the control we need.

I still think that it’s a flaw in the system that a Super Admin cannot do this regardless of project membership status but that’s a topic for the feedback area.

1 Like